Hello everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My name is Kaylin and I am new to the forum!

I'm a marine biology student and work at the Audubon Society in Santa Clara (doing fieldwork; on land) as a burrowing owl intern. I also work at a climbing gym part-time.

I got my open water certification through NAUI in May and just got my advanced cert. I got both of these through the University of Santa Cruz. I am currently getting my rescue through a shop in Scott's Valley. I am president of the Scuba Slugs (club) at UCSC along with my regular dive buddy Torrey! I will be pursuing DM (through the school) this Winter and Spring. I will also be pursuing Scientific Diving (AAUS) in the Summer. I've been diving almost every week, twice a week (when conditions are good) in the Monterey Bay/ Carmel area. When I'm not diving, I am probably still in the ocean; either surfing or swimming.

Last edited:
Great user name! Welcome.

Just read your intro --impressive

As one who taught diving for many years-- privately and in a community college I would strongly suggest that you take every class offered by UCSC to prepare you for the SDC.

My son who is a ER & Hyperbaric Doctor and I lecture 2X a year to the Cal Poly SDC. I have no knowledge of the SDC offered by UCSC but if taught by a NAUI instructor you can be assured it will be a very informative difficult course which will elevate you to a different level that the average card caring diver with numerous patches cards, and tiles...give it all you got.

In Marine bio do you still use Dr. Mary Ann Reidman's book on seals
some where along the line?

Cheers from CenCal
SDM

howdy and welcome from south Florida........happy diving.

Just read your intro --impressive

As one who taught diving for many years-- privately and in a community college I would strongly suggest that you take every class offered by UCSC to prepare you for the SDC.

My son who is a ER & Hyperbaric Doctor and I lecture 2X a year to the Cal Poly SDC. I have no knowledge of the SDC offered by UCSC but if taught by a NAUI instructor you can be assured it will be a very informative difficult course which will elevate you to a different level that the average card caring diver with numerous patches cards, and tiles...give it all you got.

In Marine bio do you still use Dr. Mary Ann Reidman's book on seals
some where along the line?

Cheers from CenCal
SDM

Hello and thank you! I do plan on continuing my dive education with UCSC. All of the courses except for rescue, but the shop is also NAUI. The Dive Master course I am taking in January is also through NAUI. I'm VERY excited. It is over two quarters so I will be done at the end of Spring. I haven't done much with Pinnipeds but I will keep my eye out for that book and author.

I suspect you have caught the bug ! and good for you!

And good for the sport !

As you possibly already surmised college diving classes taken for the knowledge and a grade is the best possible training that is available today!

Combine that with a very intensive Scientific Diving Course (SDC) taught by a NAUI instructor on the college level and you will become a very competent diver-

Keep up the enthusiasm...maybe look into being a student assistant in the classes

SDM
LA Co UW instructor
NAUI instructor number 27

Welcome. it's a great profession you choose, if I had to do it all over again I would have accepted my scholarship to Berkeley for marine biology

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom