Purchasing emergency oxygen bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They will also give me free O2 fills. They have two offices, one five miles north of me, one south about 15 miles. Not that I plan on needing emergency refills often at all. I occasionally see patients or perform consults from my home office so ill keep it handy, and pack it when diving locally.

I have a couple of pelican cases sitting around the garage with nothing important to do. So I can convert one too an emergency kit plus oxygen. That's why I liked the m9, it fits better in the pelican case. Otherwise I have to put the d cylinder in the case on a slant which bothers me.

I have a couple of pelican cases sitting around the garage with nothing important to do. So I can convert one too an emergency kit plus oxygen. That's why I liked the m9, it fits better in the pelican case. Otherwise I have to put the d cylinder in the case on a slant which bothers me.
Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and that's a good general O2 set up. You might also consider including airways and a BVM with your kit.

I'm sure you thought of this but for a victim of DCS the high flow rate that your NRB mask requires will eat up your tank pretty quickly.

Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and that's a good general O2 set up. You might also consider including airways and a BVM with your kit.

I'm sure you thought of this but for a victim of DCS the high flow rate that your NRB mask requires will eat up your tank pretty quickly.

Agreed.

Especially if I use the M9 instead of the D cylinder. There's always pros and cons we have to balance, right?
This is for my local diving kit only. There are a couple of spots locally (in my state) where it would take a couple of hours to get to a chamber, but no where where it would take more than an hour to get an EMS team to us, unless we are doing some very high altitude fresh water mountain lake diving. Cell coverage isn't always guaranteed, either. Of course, and I'm sure you all agree, oxygen is the contingency of the contingency, right? We plan do that we font need to use it, but have it in case we must use it.

I make first aid kits and sell them professionally, so I do have bvm, and laryngoscopes/blades, ETT, etc. That's usually in a separate kit. And I've never had to use it outside of the hospital.

One time in Cozumel we had one of the physicians in our group die while diving. She was on a different boat. CPR begun immediately, Ambulance waiting at the dock, the whole nine. Unfortunately she did not survive. I dont think she could have gotten better care, though. A whole boat full.of doctors.

Unfortunately she did not survive. I dont think she could have gotten better care, though. A whole boat full.of doctors.
I had a fella die on my boat under the care of a trauma doc, with a full ACLS kit and defib. The autopsy came back as a tunneled coronary artery. Had he gone down in the emergency room he probably wouldn't have survived. Sometimes it's just your time.

I'm getting no love from any of the medical O2 places around here. Due to consolidation, there aren't very many left. No fills, just bottle exchange, and no D or Jumbo D cylinders, just M9 or E. Neither of which are ideal for an emergency kit. Looks like my choices are going to be limited to the few dive shops that can fill pure O2, or getting a T of welding gas and a whip.

I had a fella die on my boat under the care of a trauma doc, with a full ACLS kit and defib. The autopsy came back as a tunneled coronary artery. Had he gone down in the emergency room he probably wouldn't have survived. Sometimes it's just your time.

Agree. I'm sorry to hear that happened on your boat. It affects everyone. Having gone through the process of managing a person needing CPR enough to where I've forgotten more cases than I remember, one thing I've learned is that sometimes, no matter what, people just die.

I never heard the results of the autopsy for our physician colleague, but she was over weight and over stressed on that dive. If it wasn't diving, it may have been walking up the stairs to the hotel. You never know.

I'm getting no love from any of the medical O2 places around here. Due to consolidation, there aren't very many left. No fills, just bottle exchange, and no D or Jumbo D cylinders, just M9 or E. Neither of which are ideal for an emergency kit. Looks like my choices are going to be limited to the few dive shops that can fill pure O2, or getting a T of welding gas and a whip.

Hard to believe. There's gotta be some love.

The first company I spoke with continued to give me the run around. Called them again today, more of the same.

I called a different company, here was their response: "sure, we can deliver it today or Monday. Which is better?"

I decided to go with company #2.

2air, I have a couple of ideas for you. PM on it's way.

Back
Top Bottom