Trim Weights - What to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that is what I was inquiring about; if the trim weights effectively move the center of gravity headward. Seems so.

Yes. Simply put, you can try moving a portion of your total ballast forward or rearward until you find the point at which your torso is balanced in horizontal trim. Experimenting like that is the only way to know what works. Keep in mind that if you make other changes, such as a different suit, different tanks, accessories, etc., it may affect your trim. When I wear a 3/2 mm suit (with steel backplate and Al 80 tank), I find myself maintaining horizontal trim and properly weighted for a balanced rig with 2 lbs. in trim pockets on the upper cambands and no lead elsewhere. In that configuration, the 2 lbs. is more for trim than a balanced rig--I'd still be balanced with zero lead. But when I wear a 5/4 mm suit, I find myself maintaining horizontal trim and properly weighted for a balanced rig with 8 lbs. in trim pockets on the lower cambands and no lead elsewhere. Whatever works. You just have to experiment.

Weight distribution is important, but so is posture. If you're just limp and letting your legs dangle, no amount of moving weight around is going to overcome the problem.
This gem seems to have gone by mostly unnoticed. It is worth pointing out.

I drop my knees when overtasked. I suppose that it is a fall-back to my PSD or wreck-rat training. I don't know, but it is extremely hard to break.

Trace gave me a fix for that. Lay on the floor, assume the position and when you can watch a half-hour TV show in trim, your problem is solved. Sounds easy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom