Newly Single - Diving Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Ladies.

Sadly, I am newly single. I became a diver as a result of meeting my husband, and I've fallen in love with it, so I don't want to give diving up.

However, I'd like to hear from ladies who travel on their own where they've found it easiest to go diving with least amount of hassle, particularly in Asia. I'm into photography, and ideally like to avoid drifts if possible. Egypt is cheap, but I don't know how comfortable I'd been back in Egypt on my own, diving with mainly men.

Clearly it's become a more expensive venture, so I might be able to do it less often.

Do you know any forums / locations to find women to buddy up with on trips? I'm open to live aboard and resort based.

Thanks.

You might be more comfortable diving with a group of friends. Try looking for a BSAC club (I know Hellfins in London is well thought of).

Also the likes of Malta may be a good starting point. Shore based, English speaking, good food, small Island with lots of dive centres. A lot of the dive centres provide a full package, diving, accommodation and dive guides.

Gareth
St Ives SAC (Cambridgeshire)

Hi maat, I am not a lady but my favorite buddy is.

The best thing to do - appart from going out with friends - is to go on a liveboard. If people around you speak your langage and you are not shy and integrate easily, you will have a great time.

I am almost exclusivelly diving from LOB and , because everybody is diving, the camaraderie is almost instantanious.

I would not hesitate to go to Egypt on a LOB. You will be with foreigners and local sailors. I have never seen that isolated ladies got in trouble with men on such boats.

Good luck.

FIY, I am speaking french, so the divers are of french language. I have never been on a LOB in Egypt that would have exclusivelly english speaking people, so I cannot tell for these. But On every one of the LOB I was on, there was 20 to 40 % of women, some of them single. So I would not worry.

I would second the recommendation about liveaboards. (Try googling Scuba Travel)

My girlfriend still does a lot of trips on her own (shes a teacher - lots of holiday). She has made a lot of diving friends and met a lot of single ladies on Liveaboards. Its a very secure environment. They often email each other about upcoming trips.

Gareth

Thank you to you both. :)

I've looked up a few of the local dive clubs (including the one mentioned above) and it turns out there is a large one at the end of my road! I know it seems an obvious thing, but as my husband never wanted to interact with other divers, dive clubs weren't something we got involved in.

Last edited:
Just a word of recommendation re the clubs - before parting with money 'interview them'.

Whilst clubs can be fantastic opportunities for expanding diving opportunities, they can be a disappointment if you don't get what you expect, thought you where getting.

Make sure they go diving! I would also recommend that you make sure they have an active training program with active instructors. Make sure there are people of a similar age/interest. That they are going to do the type of diving you are interested in (at least one overseas warm water trip a year?). There are other female members!..

I recommended Hellfins, because it has a good reputation, I have never been a member, but have bumped into them diving over the years.

Gareth

PS - link to BSAC branch finder
SCUBA diving find it tool, trip reports to wrecks, to big critters

PPS
Link to recent BSAC video about UK diving

Last edited:
Like the other two folks, I'm not a lady but I'd like to plug my favorite local waters in South Florida. Travel for you from the U.K. is not horrendous, you're in a better place in the event you need medical care and the reefs and wrecks can be quite pretty. There are also a lot of topside things to do

I travel and dive on my own all the time. I've never sought a buddy to go with (though have done dive trips with friends from time to time). I actually prefer it on my own because then I can meet and hang out with the other divers and meet new people. One tip is to find dive shops in popular areas or near the accommodations. Otherwise people just show up for the day and leave and then you are on your own for the evenings. Which can be nice too, but if you are looking for a social scene do a little research before booking the trip.

This is why everyone is recommending liveaboards, the social aspect is part of the trip. The boats are designed to have common areas. And even the couples I've met on the boats are very open to chat with everyone. Once I've booked my bed on the boat I've always been roomed with another female diver, so no issues there.

As for the dives not on a boat, most shops are ad hoc diving. Meaning they pick dive sites based on customer request and weather, then they group divers with a dive master, so they will just buddy you with someone also diving alone. Or if an odd number the divemaster will be your designated buddy.

As for Asia...I've dived all over. I currently teach in Thailand (come dive with me if you like :p) but loved the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Sri Lanka..... never had an issue. If you're into photography, I'd recommend the muck diving in the Lembeh Straits of Indonesia.

I hope you do enjoy some dive travel on your own. It's quite freeing. :)

Thanks everyone. I don't know why this is such an issue for me at the moment... I travelled extensively on my own before in Asia, but not with diving.

I have a meetup with the local dive club next week, and membership is free. They were very responsive to my inquiries and seem to have a lot of female professional divers, and do a fair bit of diving locally in the UK and abroad. The pool evenings and course schedule look good (it's probably time for me to do Rescue Diver), so fingers crossed I get along with the group.

The last trip I did with my partner was a liveaboard in the Maldives this past September. The other folks on the trip seemed lovely but I didn't really interact with others as much as I should have. It was my first liveaboard and I hope I can afford to do another, probably Egypt at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom