New Diver Looking for Next Budget Scuba Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! I'm a new scuba diver with just 6 dives under my belt. My last dive was in September in Caye Caulker, Belize. I'm really excited about scuba diving and can already see my travel plans changing. With that said, I would like to go on a budget scuba diving trip for 4 days/4 nights in February. I will be flying out of LAX. Do you have any suggestions as to where i should look for a budget scuba trip? I don't mind staying at hostels as long as they are clean and safe. Also, I would consider dive packages that come with accommodations.

I was initially looking at Utila, Honduras but after finding out the costs and time to get there, I changed my mind about it. Maybe next time when I have more time to spare.

Thanks!

Cozumel is often the least expensive Caribbean dive destination, and the diving is fantastic. You can fly to Cancun which frequently saves money and take the bus/ferry. There are decent-not great- hotels downtown for a reasonable price and you simply choose your dive op. Go to the Cozumel forum on this site for an overload of suggestions and advice.

Checkout cozumel bedsfriend hostel on trip advisor.... Super cheap. And divewithmartin free rental included.

Look at Cozumel. You can get there in around 6-8 hrs. on AA connecting thru DFW for $600ish. There's about 6 hostels downtown starting at $13 and a lot of sub-$50/nt rooms. This one looks like an option: Agave Azul Cozumel Hotel & Diving (Cozumel, Mexico) | Expedia

My friends (divers) stay at Villa Blanca. There's 2-3 dive shops either on premises or within a block or two. It's not in town though - a couple miles south - so factor in a cab which I understand can be pricier. Also I think nearby food options are limited. Villablanca | Cozumel Mexico

Dive Paradise bundles with them also. 4nt. packages are around $500 diving/room. Villablanca Garden Beach Hotel - Dive Paradise

Carnival in Cozumel is sometime in February also so that may affect the rates depending on when you go.
fwiw, I've never been there - it was just the first place I thought of that meets your needs.

Roatan has a hostel also - Chillies - same people own Native Sons Diving. Actually Roatan also has plenty of decent accommodations under $50. In the West End you won't need a car - a cab from the airport is fixed at $25 and there's a water taxi or local cabs. Also a small food store and truck vendors but food is really cheap there. Food is everything from street vendors to the finest Indian cuisine in Honduras.

And diving is 10/$350 from 1/2 dozen shops. Most of the shops have their boats in the harbor out front. We liked Coconut Tree but Native Sons, Reef Gliders, West End Divers also get good reviews. This gives a good overview of options in that area. Coconut Tree Divers - Roatan

Flights are longer - close to 11 hrs. with an early morning layover of about 5 hrs in Houston. Same price though. Since you've been to Belize, I suspect the diving is sort of similar since they're so close.

Maybe price Maui?. From LAX it's 5-6 hrs. each way - we often fly thru there now.

There's a Tiki Hostel in Lahaina that's near the harbor where two shops keep their boats. On Front St. which is where all the restaurants, nightlife etc. are. Tiki Hale - Newest Hostel in Lahaina, Maui

Diving is pricier there though - 2 tanks exceed $129 or more. Reservations | Scuba Dive Molokini, Maui, Lanai, and Hammerhead Shark Diving

If you could find somebody to buddy with - and transportation - shore diving is an option there also. The issue with shore diving with a nearby shop is they're not much cheaper than boat dives although some offer pickup and shuttle to nearby sites. Tank rentals otoh are like $10/day and Maui Dive Shop has $5 fills. A cheap small car to get around will be cheaper than a cab from the airport. Book in advance - walk-ups are about 150% higher on arrival.

Maui in February is peak season though so maybe more expensive.

I like Chillies in West End Roatan, too. A shared 6 person room is only $10.00 / night per person. A private room is $25.00. Native Son's dive shop on premises is $35 /dive with a package and includes Equipment! Rooms are clean, personnel friendly, and rooms are very secure. Dive facilities are excellent and there's even a shack in front with tasty breakfast and lunch at a reasonable cost.

I do not know about flight costs but when it comes to diving and lodging then Roatan and Utila are both great options for budget minded divers. Check out Splash dive resort in Roatan and Alton's in Utila.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. While Roatan and Utila seem like viable budget options, the cost and time to get to those destinations are the reasons why I am putting it off...for now. Flights to San Pedro Sula from LAX are $560+ on average. On top of that, I would have to consider the transportation cost and time to La Ceiba and Utila/Roatan finally. With just 4 nights to spare, I don't think i can afford about 15 hours of transit time one way. Maybe in the future when I take my advanced OW course. Or when it's whale shark season.

I am definitely considering Cozumel now. Are there plenty of things to do on the island after a day of diving? Or is it advisable to base myself in Playa del Carmen and find a shop that organizes dives in Cozumel?

Appreciate your input. Thanks!

Are there plenty of things to do on the island after a day of diving? Or is it advisable to base myself in Playa del Carmen and find a shop that organizes dives in Cozumel?

Not a ton to do after a day of diving. You could do as I do, which is eat and relax for a bit then go for a run/jog along the waterfront, and end the day with a drink or two.

Going back and forth between PDC and COZ might end up being a hassle, even though it's not that consuming. I think the ferry price is $25. PDC for lodging is probably more expensove too. You could always split your trip with a couple of days in COZ diving, and a couple in PDC on the beach.

Alcoholism and gluttony are high list of things to do. From August through November there is turtle rescue in the late afternoon on the East side
The ferry run 135 - 165 MXN per trip. Hotels in Cozumel can be had for 30-40 USD a night.

I dived with Blue Life out of PDC 2 years ago. They had their own boat, would pick up on the beach in PDC and run out to Coz. So, now ferry but still diving Coz. PDC reefs were lame in comparison .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom