a few restaurant questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lime and tequila......the national fruit and drink :).....both, on the cheap :)

On the way to Mahahual we passed through Limones, guess what kind of fruit they grow? To the south we passed through a village where it was nothing but pineapple. On our way down we hit the mango town. WOW.... 2kg for $4 or something ridiculously cheap like that. They made the best mango margaritas ever!!! Only problem is the rinds and seeds attracted those insidious little biting ants. Everything bit down there. The mango's were gone 10days later on our way back to Cancun, my guess is the tropical storm blew them all down :(

On the way to Mahahual we passed through Limones, guess what kind of fruit they grow? To the south we passed through a village where it was nothing but pineapple. On our way down we hit the mango town. WOW.... 2kg for $4 or something ridiculously cheap like that. They made the best mango margaritas ever!!! Only problem is the rinds and seeds attracted those insidious little biting ants. Everything bit down there. The mango's were gone 10days later on our way back to Cancun, my guess is the tropical storm blew them all down :(

Good trip? A dive trip, or dive +? Where did you dive?
That trip is definitely on my bucket list.

I, like many others have almost forgotten about Pepe's Grill. It has always been on the pricy side but there is no better service anywhere. Last Thursday night I had a hankering for a good steak and went upstairs to Check out Fogo do Brazil. No one there which is not a good sign. On a whim moved over to Pepe's for the first time in a decade maybe.

Wow, turns out they had Caribbean King crab on the menu—and say they have it most days since they now have their own fishermen go to Chinchorro Banks. IF you have never had it the King Crab is better than any from Alaska and is fresh caught. FORGET THE STEAKS!

Y'all ought to get Pepe's back on your favorite list. Just sayin!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I thought Chinchorro was a marine park? So much for that, Chinchorro is named for the crunchy skin of the groupers caught there. Not that there are any left mind you.

Costa maya was a mixed bag, the atolls at Chinchorro were worth seeing, the rest.... meh
We were not divers then. The bugs there are hideously evil. The locals odd, from friendly to not to trying to make as much $$$ out of us as possible.

I thought Chinchorro was a marine park? So much for that, Chinchorro is named for the crunchy skin of the groupers caught there. Not that there are any left mind you.

Chinchorro is a marine park and just like Cozumel's marine park, there are sections of it where you can sport fish or fish commercially with permits. The name comes from either a chinchorro, or cast net, or chinchorro, a small work boat. I'd say a cast net, since that is what its shape looks like.

I, like many others have almost forgotten about Pepe's Grill. It has always been on the pricy side but there is no better service anywhere. Last Thursday night I had a hankering for a good steak and went upstairs to Check out Fogo do Brazil. No one there which is not a good sign. On a whim moved over to Pepe's for the first time in a decade maybe.

Wow, turns out they had Caribbean King crab on the menu—and say they have it most days since they now have their own fishermen go to Chinchorro Banks. IF you have never had it the King Crab is better than any from Alaska and is fresh caught. FORGET THE STEAKS!

Y'all ought to get Pepe's back on your favorite list. Just sayin!

A long time ago, Pepe's was on my list of favorites. It was my go to place when I was craving beef - great service, great Prime Rib served au jus, and not over-cooked, with a baked potato and even a decent salad bar. And a great well-stocked bar, one of the few places on the island that could bring me a snifter of B&B after dinner - the perfect ending for a good meal. Then, about a decade ago, when the restaurant was turned over to the son, the service and quality seemed to go downhill, and after one mediocre and over-priced meal, I quit going there. Maybe it's time to give it another chance.

Back
Top Bottom