Diving in the DR - Saona Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baltdiveguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are taking a vacation in about 2 weeks to punta cana. She is going to get OW certified and we are going to do a dive excursion to Saona Island - I picked that because it's on the Caribbean side and I've heard that's much better diving (from what I've read).

Anyone have any experience here?

Also - any advice on traveling with my own gear? This will be my first time taking my gear on a plane. Is it worth it?

My wife and I are taking a vacation in about 2 weeks to punta cana. She is going to get OW certified and we are going to do a dive excursion to Saona Island - I picked that because it's on the Caribbean side and I've heard that's much better diving (from what I've read).

Anyone have any experience here?

Also - any advice on traveling with my own gear? This will be my first time taking my gear on a plane. Is it worth it?

I know nothing about DR, so cannot comment there. HOWEVER, I'm a firm believer in traveling with your own gear. and diving with your own gear. Only time I have not done that since I've owned my gear is when I was traveling cross country on my motorcycle, diving in Florida and California.

Bring your regs and dive computers as carry on. If you have a sensor (nitrox/CO) also carry that on. You will always have your carry on inspected so plan on it, but keep that gear with you.

Bring your regs and dive computers as carry on. If you have a sensor (nitrox/CO) also carry that on. You will always have your carry on inspected so plan on it, but keep that gear with you.

Any sense in trying to carry on my BC and other stuff, if I can fit it into a standard size duffel, or something acceptable for carry on standards? We're checking all of our clothes in another suitcase, so I wouldn't need to carry on much else.

Any sense in trying to carry on my BC and other stuff, if I can fit it into a standard size duffel, or something acceptable for carry on standards? We're checking all of our clothes in another suitcase, so I wouldn't need to carry on much else.

I've never done so, I dont see why an airplane wouldn't let you do so. As long as you have room. You will save some money I guess (on baggage fees).

If you can dive on your own gear, I recommend it always (assuming you keep your gear appropriately serviced and cared for).

When we travel for dive trips, we check two big bags (I use regular giant suitcases so it doesn't seem as obvious that there's scuba gear inside)....in one goes our BCDs, fins, towels for cushioning, booties.....in the other goes our clothes. It forces me to take less to have to share a suitcase. Then we carry on regs, computers, masks, and cameras. The regs have gotten funny looks and swabbed a few times but I just say "scuba regulators" and then they usually wave them through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom