Water temp question for Puerto Galera over Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you need a hood? If you need warmth, just get a vest. Personally, I hate wearing a hood; they're restrictive, block your hearing and uncomfortable. Why not find out if the resort rents wetsuits. Makes the most sense.

I am fine in a shorty in those temps. But you could consider a lavacore or sharkskin vest, top or fullsuit to wear under the shorty.

How about wearing 2 wetsuits , a shortie with a shortie underneath.

What dive shop is it ? Seems odd in Puerto Galera where the water temp can drop to 21 C that they only have shorties.

Interesting to know Atlantis only has shortie for rental!!!!! Perhaps in such a up-market resort they expect every client has his/her own wet suit!
Full suit provides better thermal protection as well as against stinging creatures eg. jelly fish.
Vest with hood is my preference.

What would you do if the shortie + vest etc is NOT enough?

"What would you do if the shortie + vest etc is NOT enough?"

Plan A is to buy a vest and hood to wear over the shorty for the ladies. The concern for my wife is that she'll be too hot with a hooded vest so we think the modular approach if the best for her.

The concern for my daughter is that she'll be too cold, so plan B would be to try to find a dive shop nearby that would rent her a full suit.

My son & I are more warm blooded so a shorty should be fine for both of us.

Normally the vest is being worn under the suit.
There are plenty of dive operators within the shouting distance from Atlantis. But finding a properly fit wet suit is something else, a poorly fit wet suit does not provide much thermal protection.

Good luck

Methonks that you're overthinking this. Buy a 3mm full wetsuit and be done with all of this. They're cheap, fold up nicely (learn how) and weigh nothing. The cost is offset by the rental fees

Attachments

• IMG_6273.PNG
    IMG_6273.PNG
    241.1 KB · Views: 41
Shorties seem pretty common as the only choice in many rental pools in tropical locations all over the world. They're cheaper to stock, easier to fit a variety of people when you don't have to worry about the arms and legs, and sufficient to do the job for most visitors in those temps.

In tropical waters, a fullsuit of some sort is great to have for abrasion/critter protection, and will feel nicer when hitting water that's a little cooler than you'd like. But what's on the core is probably more important for keeping someone warm over a number of dives. That's why they make shorties and vests and things of that sort. I agree not to overthink it too much - if they think they need more, I'd get a fullsuit of some sort that fits decently and be done with it. Doesn't have to be that expensive. Besides neoprene, you might want to look into things like sharkskin, lavacore, or suits of other polyolefin type layered materials for even better packability. Then if they need still more than that, rent a shorty there to layer on top. This has the advantage of having something between you and a peed in rental.

Personally, I find hooded anything a pain and uncomfortable - I dive warm water to avoid hoods! Seems like overkill for tropical waters, and you really don't see people using them that often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom