Do you use sun screen when going on your dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always use sunblock or I burn terribly. I put it on before I leave for the dive site.

I tried the Tropical Sands brand when I was last in Mexico, and I found it effective for diving. It is expensive compared to various other brands, but I can attest it does work. Some of the other natural or organic brands I have tried simply do not work.

I DO use a water-resistant sunscreen - Blue Lizard Sensitive - when I dive, simply because my face / neck get (painfully) fried without it. I always wear a long sleeve top (Sharkskin) under my wetsuit so that I can peel the top of the suit off between dives to avoid overheating. And, when on shore / boat I have a wide brimmed hat. But, when I am teaching OW, and AOW, I spend a bit of time on the surface, and that is deadly for my skin without screen.

I apply BLS before the first dive of the day, occasionally again at midday. The 'active' ingredients are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which are considered 'reef safe'. There are a number of inert (as far as sun protection goes) ingredients, which have not been tested for their effects on coral.

My biggest problem with sunscreen - when I use it, my masks fogs and I find myslef clearing the mask frequently.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Blue Lizard Sensitive, which I also use, is not water resistant--at least per their own website information. The Blue Lizard Sport is water resistant, but does have the Oxybenzone-- not so good for the reefs or your body for that matter.

I don't have to use much sun screen. I try to remember to wear chap stick with spf, I wear a buff or face shield and a hat and a long sleeve rash guard and generally I am tan enough that shorts are OK for my legs. I really hate getting lotion on my mask and making a mess, so I try to avoid it. In really warm weather I wear a lycra hood on the boat and when in the water.

For me, exposure to the sun can trigger some health problems so I try to minimize sun exposure as much as possible, especially on my face. I have tried many mineral sunscreens and my current preference is something with 20% zinc oxide. I put this on before going outside for a dive and I also wear a wide-brimmed hat. I reapply after each dive. I don't care about looking like a zombie for diving but if I'm out and about in town shopping or whatever, I opt for a tinted version. The untinted versions, usually marketed for the body, is much less expensive. I like the Badger stick. The tinted versions are usually marketed as high end all natural cosmetics.

For the body, I wear either a long sleeved rash guard with UV protection or I'm in my full wetsuit so I don't worry about my body too much.

BTW, zinc oxide is actually "good" for the skin. It is the active ingredient in baby rash balm, which heals rashes. My skin loves that stuff.

It is also now "trendy" to go with the all-natural mineral sunscreens because the chemicals used in "older" sunscreens have been proven unhealthy not only for coral reefs, but for the human body.

Here in Indonesia, right on the equator, with the tropical sun, I do *not* need to wear sunscreen -- simply because the name of the game in this place is to stay in the shade. I'm just not in the sun that much. Even when I go in the pool, I go when it's shady (otherwise it's just too hot for me).

However when I am in California, land of the cold water diving, I DO have to wear sunscreen -- the air is cool and the sun is warm. No tropical reefs around there though.

- Bill

I try to use the minimum amount - if possible no sunscreen at all before diving, but I try to stay in the shadow as much as possible. After the dive, sometimes I put a few on my face, especially nose...

I don't wear it because it runs in my eyes and wrecks my dive but like the others I'm a sunburn waiting to happen. I'm a shade seeking, longsleeve, buff and head scarf wearing missile. If waiting on the surface, I try to keep my back turned to the sun, pull my head cover downover my eye brows to protect my forehead. I try to keep my hands under the water as much as possible , as have fried the crap out of the back of my hands in the past.

Interesting. In Australia I doubt that many people now would not be wearing sunscreen when out in the sun. I certainly use when out and about in anything but winter. We already have the highest rate of melenoma in the world, we do not need to get more by not using sunscreen.

If waiting on the surface, I try to keep my back turned to the sun, pull my head cover downover my eye brows to protect my forehead. I try to keep my hands under the water as much as possible , as have fried the crap out of the back of my hands in the past.

I agree. Just last month, the backs of my hands got burned just by waiting for the boat on the surface of the water. It really only takes a few minutes.

Then, I was stupid enough to go snorkeling with only a long-sleeved rash guard and a bikini bottom. The space between the bottom of the rash guard and the top of the bikini bottom (literally just 1 inch on the back of my waist) was burned and the back of my thighs as well. I will always wear a full skin from now if I ever snorkel again.

I also get burned on my scalp, where I part my hair. Who would've thought to apply sunscreen there! I learned my lesson though!

I agree. Just last month, the backs of my hands got burned just by waiting for the boat on the surface of the water. It really only takes a few minutes.

Then, I was stupid enough to go snorkeling with only a long-sleeved rash guard and a bikini bottom. The space between the bottom of the rash guard and the top of the bikini bottom (literally just 1 inch on the back of my waist) was burned and the back of my thighs as well. I will always wear a full skin from now if I ever snorkel again.

I also get burned on my scalp, where I part my hair. Who would've thought to apply sunscreen there! I learned my lesson though!

That sounds painful! We offer a warm water package deal which provides full coverage while in the water and on the boat. It has three pieces: a top, pants and hood.

Something like this might have saved you an uncomfortable night or two;

Dive Skin Rashguard 3 Piece Package | MAKO Spearguns

rashguard-top-dive-skin-pants.jpg

dive-skin-rashguard-pants.jpg

rashguard-dive-skin-top-with-hood.jpg

rashguard-green-hood-blue-hood.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom