How to Lose a Fish when Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A recent dive where I made a few mistakes. First I get distracted by the larger grouper and miss and get nothing. Later in the same dive, I get a Cubera Snapper and knife it and set it down - for 2 seconds while I put away the knife. I assumed it was totally dead (instead of putting it immediately in my catch bag).

My buddy was elsewhere on the wreck making his own mistakes.

Shot with a Go Pro on a head mount in 90 feet of water on one dive.

A second shaft makes the gun heavier and harder to swing and is more applicable for freeshafting. It would be possible no doubt,

Always shoot the closer fish is a lesson I have to relearn all too often. Maybe I'm just narced and not as stupid as it appears.,. Lol

@dumpsterDiver

What kind of gloves are you wearing and do they get loose or saggy when wet or old?

I've been using these gloves from MAKO for a while and they are very tough. They seem to run a little small in their sizing, but they stretch a little, but do not deform or get loose. I use them for lobstering and spearfishing, they are a good blanace between protection and dexterity. Not for cold water.

Spearfishing Gloves - Cut and Puncture Resistant | MAKO Spearguns

I own a pair of the same gloves, different label, but found the hand protection coating came off real fast. After 10 or so dives. Has yours held up? Maybe I got a bad set. I like the fit, but not the longevity.

I thought about coating them with PlastiDip, but now I'm using $2 Harbor Freight gloves. Same pair all season and they seem to be holding up.

My favorite part is the vocals.

I own a pair of the same gloves, different label, but found the hand protection coating came off real fast. After 10 or so dives. Has yours held up? Maybe I got a bad set. I like the fit, but not the longevity.

I thought about coating them with PlastiDip, but now I'm using $2 Harbor Freight gloves. Same pair all season and they seem to be holding up.

The protective coating on the palm and fingers has held up well, it has not peeled off. There are a lot of gloves on the market, the ones I am using are kevlar, They have lasted me more than 50 dives, at least. Lobster diving is tough on the gloves.

As for the screaming, I was so pissed (at myself) - I don't even know what I was saying. Initially, when I was knifing the fish, my buddy had come over and was watching, but he looked away to scan for sharks (he said there were two bulls in the area) and one second later I was screaming to shoot, but the opportunity was gone.

The actual raw video is even more of a cluster because I got wrapped up in the shooting line (which the fish dragged over a loop of old fishing line on the wreck - shown in the video) so when I tried to move forward to grab the fish, I could only got 2-3 feet and then I was completely stopped by the tangled line connecting me to the wreck. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Accidentally deleted video.. reposted under this link..

I would like to start spearfishing but that will likely not happen until I retire. I love this video as it shows that some of the challenges that come with hunting with a bow or gun on land sometimes happen while spearfishing. That is what makes it so challenging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom