Logging Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louis Lockwood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
It hasn't even been two weeks since passing my OWD course, so I haven't fully been through what material has made it through the letterbox (and am sure there's more to come).

Being a member of Generation-Y, I prefer everything that is paperless/contactless and as such would love to keep my dives logged online from day one (which ScubaEarth appears to offer).

My question is when more advanced courses have a minimum requirement of dives, where is the credibility to logging online dives that a buddy/instructor cannot endorse? Am I better to solely keep a paper logbook of all my dives, or alongside an electronic one?

Thanks for any insight - sods law is I will get back from work and the postman has delivered my paper logbook with all of this explained.

i use both types of log book......the paper one as a journal with signatures,stamps and to show dive charters when my last dive was and scuba-earth for my back-up and to keep track of equipment service and certification cards.

LL do you dive with a computer and have a download cable? If so check out Subsurface free dive log program that runs in Windoze, Mac and Linux and can download most DCs. You can even get a pdf file of your entire log book if you want.

I've been diving locally and just logging these dives to an Excel spreadsheet. Not sure if this would count towards the dive counts required to show experience, but I don't see anyone else signing each others logbooks after dives either.

Firstly, congrats on passing the course. Now the fun starts :)
Secondly, check with your certifying agency. They should have some sort of definition as to what counts for further courses.

I have not once been asked to show my logged dives to anyone. Not any dive charter or any dive instructor.

I do not use paper logs, but simply upload my dives to my computer and make very brief notes if I feel like it. If a dive op really wanted to know when my last dive was, I would show them the log book within my dive computer.

I have had the same instructor for all of my training except my OW. He is the CD at the LDS I use. He knows how much he sees me coming in for tank fills and never needed to verify my log book for number of dives when I entered the DM class. That may have been lax on his part, but I had over 100 at the time and all you needed was more than 40 to enter and 60 to exit.

Logged 200 dives on paper, from thereon only digital. If someone want's to asses my diving capability, we will go diving. A log means nothing at all.

My question is when more advanced courses have a minimum requirement of dives, where is the credibility to logging online dives that a buddy/instructor cannot endorse? Am I better to solely keep a paper logbook of all my dives, or alongside an electronic one?
It is an electronic age. And, more and more divers prefer to go 'paperless'. It really isn't an issue, as long as you have some form of accessible record of dives. I personally still keep a paper log book. I have students sign my paper log book, where I have stated that all performance requirements for 'whatever' course were met, and i list the dive dates, times, depths, and conditions. Is that essential? Probably not. But, if - knock on wood - a situation ever arises where a students - after the fact - claims that I failed to teach / tell / show them something that was a requirement oif the course, I have a record, with their signature, showing that the requirements were met. Fool proof? Possibly not. Fail safe? Possibly not. But, better than nothing. :)

Electronic records are just like paper records - their value is heavily dependent on personal integrity. The issue of having them co-signed by a buddy / instructor is not critical. An unscrupulous individual could easily fabricate a bunch of dives in a paper log book, and have a dozen friends affix various 'buddy' signatures, and the person reviewing the log would never know the difference. The same person could add fictitious lines to an Excel spreadsheet, or log fictitious dives in ScubaEarth.

I have signed paper pages for divers, I have electronically signed pages for divers, I have issued certifications for divers who did not keep paper logs. Going forward, they have a record of the certification - their card. They don't require my signature on their logbook pages, or my 'pretty' stamp on the page either.

The log, be it paper or electronic, has primary value for you - it is a personal journal (and I use my paper logbook that way). Now, if I am teaching a course that requires a certain (minimum) number of dives (or types of dives) as a pre-requisite, I require the candidate to produce some form of record documenting that the diver has met that eligibility requirement. It could be paper. It could be electronic. Saying, 'I have thousands of dives, but I just don't log them', doesn't cut it, for me at least. Maybe another instructor would allow it. Several years ago a fellow Instructor, someone whose IDC I had just recently staffed before he passed the IE, someone who is a friend, neighbor, and dive buddy, wanted to take a course (from me) that required a minimum of 100 logged dives. His logbook showed 97 dives. He said that he had made a lot of dives over the years that he just hadn't logged. BUT - and here is an example of the issue of personal integrity - he went out and made and logged three dives, with a mutual friend, who signed them, so he could provide logbook documentation of the 100 dives. Did he 'have' to do that? No. He could have faked it. But, he knew - as a fellow Instructor - that the integrity of a system of defining pre-requisites and eligibility requirements was predicated upon the integrity of the divers participating in the system. So, he went out and did it.

To answer your particular question: ScubaEarth as one example provides a great platform for electronically logging dives. You do not need to keep a parallel paper log, to show proof of diving experience for future training. If you need to show 'proof' of a number of dives, all you have to do is log onto the system and let the Instructor view your 'logbook' on the screen. I would readily accept that. The same is true for other diver logbook software, or dive computer software (e.g. Suunto Dive Manager). If someone shows me an Excel spreadsheet with dates, depths, times, locales, and says that is a true representation of their diving log, I will accept it. But, I always ask to see some form of documentation for any / every course that has a minimum number of dives as a pre-requisite. I may know the diver, have seen them regularly in the shop, etc. I will still ask to see their documentation, because I am being held to a standard - that I have personally verified that they meet the pre-requisite / eligibility requirements. That is a matter of individual integrity for me.

It is really hard to quantify the 'competence' of a diver. I wish there was a reliable, objective basis for assessing that diver dimension. Most agencies understandably default to accepting 'experience' as a surrogate marker for competence, and use a measurable parameter - number of dives - as a measure of 'experience'. Right or wrong, that is the way it is. One of the requirements that my agency places on me, as an Instructor teaching continuing education courses, is that before I begin actual course-related inwater training and determination of the student's ability to meet performance requirements, I must 'assess the diver’s skills and comfort level inwater and generally assess dive knowledge. If the diver exhibits lack of dive readiness, remediate before training progresses.' So, you may have documentation of the quantity of experience required as a pre-requisite for a course, but I have the final say as to whether we actually start the course, or spend time to 'remediate'. Now, the other side of that coin is equally important. You can tell me that you just don't log dives, but all I have to do to assess your ability is go diving with you. For a recreational buddy dive, that's fine. But, for purposes of a training course where there is a minimum experience level (# of logged dives) specified as a pre-requisite, that I am required to verify as part of determining the diver's eligibility to take the course, we won't ever get that far - i.e. into the water - if you can't document your required pre-requisite experience.

Last edited:
I logged my first Padi book until it was full around 50 dives, then I transferred everything to a digital medium. I've tried a few sites and settled on using a local application on my computer as it simplified the computer import process. My application of choice is subsurface. I save the data file in my onedrive folder so that it's always backed up online.

Thanks for all the replies - has definitely cleared up the mystery of log credibility. I'll just let ability be the main justification for however many dives I 'claim' to have made.

LL do you dive with a computer
I did for my OW dives, and will do going forward, but I do not have my own computer yet (when I will get one is another matter) so the option to download isn't there. Thanks for the heads up though, I didn't even think dive computers would link up to personal computers - but that does make sense

i use both types of log book......the paper one as a journal with signatures,stamps and to show dive charters when my last dive was and scuba-earth for my back-up and to keep track of equipment service and certification cards.
Are you PADI certified then? Did PADI send you a logbook once qualified, as I have yet to receive one - if I need to actively obtain one I will do so asap

Firstly, congrats on passing the course. Now the fun starts :)
Secondly, check with your certifying agency. They should have some sort of definition as to what counts for further courses.
Thanks! After three Discover Scuba sessions over the years I thought it only sensible to do it properly

I have not once been asked to show my logged dives to anyone. Not any dive charter or any dive instructor.
AJ:
Logged 200 dives on paper, from thereon only digital. If someone want's to asses my diving capability, we will go diving. A log means nothing at all.
Interesting - I'll do my best to keep paper and electronic copies in that case, but I won't lose sleep if I lose track on paper.

It is an electronic age. And, more and more divers prefer to go 'paperless'. It really isn't an issue, as long as you have some form of accessible record of dives. I personally still keep a paper log book.
[...]
But, for purposes of a training course where there is a minimum experience level (# of logged dives) specified as a pre-requisite, that I am required to verify as part of determining the diver's eligibility to take the course, we won't ever get that far - i.e. into the water - if you can't document your required pre-requisite experience.
Thank you for your insight, I would tend to contact any dive centre by email before undertaking a course - so any potential documentation issue would be dealt with there. I'm definitely going to try and keep an accurate paper log after reading these responses (and yours in particular), I just now need to physically obtain a log...

I logged my first Padi book until it was full around 50 dives, then I transferred everything to a digital medium.
I think at the bare minimum this would be best practice for me too. As has been pointed out, if you have the Divemaster card you aren't going to question somebodies first 60 dives...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom