Solo Dive Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is quite cheap diving at Una Una volcano Sanctum... very good, there is macro, and pelagic too, basic place very remote but very good diving :)

Also I got an amazing fare with Emirates yesterday....LGW to Denpasar for £480 return.

That is great and even cheaper than I can get from Dubai

MasterChief D, are you able to compare your Sri Lankan dive experience with the Maldives and/or North Sulawesi? TIA

I have not been to North Sulawesi therefore cannot offer an opinion.

Regarding the comparison between Sri Lanka and Maldives, one would need to first of all define the terms of reference. In terms of life, the majority of the usual suspect species are present in both countries, as well as on the west coasts of Thailand and Malaysia (over the years, I've dived healthy reefs in unexpected destinations and been disappointed in some world-class divesites - as well as the inverse). More importantly, I think that cost-wise, one would need to try quite hard to break the bank in Sri Lanka (e.g. £380 for flights LHR/CMB and £250 for 7 nights' B&B in Galle).

I guess it's all relative :)

Ieen to North Sulawesi therefore with ththe e the cannot ofwere reallfer an opinion.

Regarding the comparison between Sri Lanka and Maldives, one would need to first of all define the terms of reference. In terms of life, the majority of the usual suspect species are present in both countries, as well as on the west coasts of Thailand and Malaysia (over the years, I've dived healthy reefs in unexpected destinations and been disappointed in some world-class divesites - as well as the inverse). More importantly, I think that cost-wise, one would need to try quite hard to break the bank in Sri Lanka (e.g. £380 for flights LHR/CMB and £250 for 7 nights' B&B in Galle).

I guess it's all relative :)

I've been on four lob itineraries in Maldives. Most of the dives I wasnt that impressed with the corals. Currents were really kicking and of course, sharks and mantas are the big scene there. Viz wasn't always what one would wish. Seems to be a lot of environmental damage due to poor building/development habits.

I'm wondering if Sri Lanka has good corals, decent viz and about the currents situation. :)

I'm glad to hear the cost isn't onerous but if the diving isn't all that and a bag if chips, I'd rather spend in North Sulawesi. :)

Hi again

Sounds like the trip is well sorted. Can I ask where you stayed in Padang Bai ? I'm off there and Lembeh in February and am booked into OK divers. Also I got an amazing fare with Emirates yesterday....LGW to Denpasar for £480 return.

Have a great trip
Back when I had more disposable income, I stayed the Alila Manggis, which is about outside of Padang Bai by about 10-15 minutes. I loved it!

Back when I had more disposable income, I stayed the Alila Manggis, which is about outside of Padang Bai by about 10-15 minutes. I loved it!
Plus one for maat1976 - The Alika hotels are outstanding, with superb food and gracious personal service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom