First time in Cayman Islands!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend Walton's Mango Manor, Stake Bay
An awesome Bed and breakfeast. Mrs. Lynn makes the best breakfast ever and the dive site in front of the property is one of my favorites She's a retired nurse and is helpful when health issues arise. My son had an ear/vertigo issue that she took care of. What more can you ask for.
Rooms are clean and cool, no mosquitos and you'll have the place to yourself.

I'm going mid November. Diving is awesome and the rough weather doesn't usually bother Stake Bay and to the West.

That happened to us last year so we decided to stay an extra day on LC (not a hardship!) The situation regarding the weekly supply barge is the same for Brac and Little, but Brac is a bit bigger and more populated and there are a few more stores and restaurants so you may have more options.

We always stay at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort but I know that there are placess for rent. Quiet is pretty easy to find on Brac (and Little!). Reach out to Vincent54, he spends a lot of time on CB and may be able to advise you. Or try reaching out to the folks at Brac Scuba Shack and perhaps they can make lodging suggestions.

Here's some links about Brac:

http://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/7339943/

Cayman Brac video:
https://vimeo.com/165357805

Cayman Brac:
http://caribjournal.com/2015/09/15/journey-to-cayman-brac/

Cayman Brac free tours:
http://www.islands.com/free-tour-you-cant-miss-cayman-brac
Thanks Kathy, these links were so great! Can't wait to get to Brac! Still working on getting lodging but I know wherever we stay we will have fun and great diving.

Thanks for the shout out Kathy V.
K8chen, we love Brac Caribbean Beach Village condos. Stayed at unit 13. It has 2 bedrooms each with ensuite bath and king sized beds, plus a 3rd bath,and 3 balconies. Large kitchen and everything you'd need to do your own cooking. We've cooked our own meals on our trips, along with some dining out. Didn't really encounter issues with shopping or selection at grocery stores, just go on Friday or Saturday for the best selection, and buy based on what they have that day. Of course, it's not like a major supermarket in the States, but that's not to be expected on a small Catibbean island. Also there's a tiny but great "farmers market" on Saturday mornings. We bought mangoes, Guineps, breadfruit and more last time.
Message me if you'd like more info or photos.
Wherever you stay, have a great time!

Thanks all for the replies. We have ended up renting a house and going to use Scuba Shack. We will be there Nov 5 so we are all getting pretty excited...Will send a report when we get home. Fingers crossed for the weather!
One more question: should we bring travelers checks or is that silly these days?

Thanks all for the replies. We have ended up renting a house and going to use Scuba Shack. We will be there Nov 5 so we are all getting pretty excited...Will send a report when we get home. Fingers crossed for the weather!
One more question: should we bring travelers checks or is that silly these days?
No. Monday after getting to Brac, go to Cayman National Bank and exchange for Cayman Dollars(they have the only ATM). The stores/restaurants take US currency, but I seem to come up short after every deal. Maybe I'll see you in the water. I don't know if you are boat diving, but Scott's and Nina's Miniwall are awesome warm up dives. Both are easy shore access and usually flat calm. The best ten dollar dives around. Have fun

Thanks for the $ advice Vincent! Any other suggestions for shore diving on Brac? We are boat diving in the mornings but if we arent too pooped in the afternoons, I expect we will shore dive some days.

1)I love the wall at King Point Condos, south side. Calm day, better than a boat dive. Ladder and a cutout to get in and out. Always see sharks.

2)If you don't mind a swim, Public Beach from the shore is a fun swim out to wall and back. There are some swim throughs from the sand flat out through the wall and to the abyss. Spectacular.
3)MV Tibbets from shore. Wall is better than the wreck. Long swim but you can surface swim to buoy.
4) Lynn's Reef. Usually flat calm and just west of Atlantis in Stake Bay. Easy, fun and the shallower parts are good for night dives. Beautiful
5)any of the Spot Bay shore dives. Pick a calm day and dive Burt's Bro Boulders. The wall section is awesome. Huge lion fish . My last dive had a giant wall of yellowfin tuna come through. I seen some huge Wahoo as well. Don't go if there has been a few days of rough weather, there can be a pretty good current at the wall. I've been there when the wind was blowing towards the west and the current was heading towards Cuba.
6)My go to for seeing turtles is Sylvia's, right next to Ninas. Easy and fun

Actually all the shore dives are more fun than the boat and tanks are only about 10 bucks.

Fabulous info, Vincent! My hubby is a big fan of turtles so Sylvia's is definitely on the list. We just had a blizzard here so I cant wait (only one week to go!) to get in the water!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom