Getting certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aside from the quality of the instruction is the concern about already being freinds. Would a non-friend be more or less likely to really make you learn every detail or let things slide in order to not lose a dive buddy?

Aside from the quality of the instruction is the concern about already being freinds. Would a non-friend be more or less likely to really make you learn every detail or let things slide in order to not lose a dive buddy?
I'd probably be more of a hardass as my friends would expect that from me!

He is a certified instructor but I can't remember which agency. I'm just not sure if his teaching would be adequate. He doesn't really teach but was just gonna do it as a favor. He would most likely be teaching me on Sam rayburn lake here in jasper but I want to dive the Gulf and I was told it's a whole different monster.
If he's an instructor, is insured, teaches you to perform all the underwater skills while neutrally buoyant, then go for it. If you don't like the course in the end, you can pay someone for a course, but you'll know a bit more. Still get Lapenta's book.

Doby, the questions to ask are:
1. Is the teaching a course through a recognized agency?
2. Is the instructor certified to instruct and then pass on certification?
3. Is the course the same or equal to what you would get in a "paid" class?
4. Will a certifying agency recognize this training?

I don't think it is a high horse situation, it is a matter of questions that need to be asked and answered before taking up this endeavor. But at my age I have learned that some axioms are true, and one of those that have been true over the years is "you get what you pay for."

I don't think it is a high horse situation, it is a matter of questions that need to be asked and answered before taking up this endeavor. But at my age I have learned that some axioms are true, and one of those that have been true over the years is "you get what you pay for."

I could not disagree more and age has nothing to do with it. "You get what you pay for" is the same ole line of crap that is used to sell over priced items that operate the same as other items that are less expensive. This is normally done by those that have paid the increased cost because they need to validate the fact they paid more than someone else. Case in point, regulators. You can spend $600 on a Scubapro reg that operates no better than my HOG reg. You can also go on ebay and buy some old Scubapro regs for $100 or less, rebuild them for cheap and they operate as well as a new $400 reg from another manufacturer.

I also purchased a Catalina 80 tank from a lady for $50 and paid $20 to hydro it, so you are saying my $70 tank is not as good as a $160 new tank? Some axioms are old and tired and simply need to die.

By the way, I never stated that you do not need to make sure your instructor is up to doing the training, I simply stated that it was not crap instruction, because it is/was/will be free. I think that point was easily and plainly made when I asked if a FREE cave instruction class from Brian Kakuk would be worthless.

You guys are literally too much, it is always the same mantra "The instructor is the most important thing!!!" Then when the guy says he has a friend that is an instructor that will do him a "square" and train him for free, all the red flags go up and righteous indignation comes out. I tell ya what, what if my really good friend Brian Kakuk offered to cave train me for free? Would all of you be, NO get a GOOD PAID instructor?!?!?!?!"

This guy asked a basic question and said his friend is an instructor, at that point how is this instructor any different from any other instructor? He isn't. If he does the training for free or not has nothing to do with the quality of the training. Now if he does not "click" with his friend as his instructor, then even free training is not worth the cost.

Every now and then hop off your high horses and look at what you are saying.

I Don't think I mentions PAID at any time. I said get a good INSTRUCTOR.
The OP said a his friend was a Rescue Diver, I am not aware of any agency where Rescue Diver is an Instructor qualification. It may be that his friend is an instructor, if so nor problems, go for it.

The UK model is different that the USA model. You can pay a commercial school to teach you to dive, as per the USA model. OR, you can join a BSAC (or SSA) branch (club), as part of the membership, volunteer instructors train you to dive.
A BSAC instructor has the same training and examinations, irrespective of teaching commercially or as a volunteer.

Gareth

I did not mean to infer you did state that the instructor was up to the training, it was just a precaution for the OP. I apologize if that was inferred, it was not my intention.

One the other: I totally agree that there are times you "pay for the name" when you purchase something. That's why I always check things out before buying such as Consumer Reports, this board for scuba, online reviews, etc. However, how much is that Catalina 80 tank new? And how much is a new 80 that isn't of the same quality? Sometimes we are able to get a deal on used equipment because of the quality of that equipment and someone did pay up front for the quality verse going for a deal. As far as regs go, I am not experienced enough know how to tell good from bad. I did just buy my first set from DRIS for 299.99 for Apeks TX50 set (1st stage, 2 seconds) I know that these are 'leftovers' but after reading and researching, even though they are 'old' they are quality.

The other thing you have to take into consideration is customer service, warranty and how well the manufacturer stands behind their product. For instance, does HOG have equal or better customer service when compared to ScubaPro? I don't know but it would be a consideration in my purchase.

You could end up much better trained with your local diver friend than in a course - jam packed - hurring you through reaching the basic level of compencity.

Talk to your friend about it. The free part may be because he wants a reason to go diving and loves to teach people and likes you and wants you as another possible buddy. So your level of training with him could end up much better!

Good luck

I agree with this guy. If you friend is qualified to teach, has taught and is an active diver, he may offer you a fine course, more attention and less of a mass-market experience. If you decide you'd like to quit his course and go to the city, you've gained some extra training and practise and lost nothing.

I know several persons with instructor qualifications that don't normally teach. They could also produce better skills as well as a more solid understanding and better memory of the theory than what we occationally (not rarely enough) see in trained-elsewhere divers.

Last edited:
I Don't think I mentions PAID at any time. I said get a good INSTRUCTOR.
The OP said a his friend was a Rescue Diver, I am not aware of any agency where Rescue Diver is an Instructor qualification. It may be that his friend is an instructor, if so nor problems, go for it.

The UK model is different that the USA model. You can pay a commercial school to teach you to dive, as per the USA model. OR, you can join a BSAC (or SSA) branch (club), as part of the membership, volunteer instructors train you to dive.
A BSAC instructor has the same training and examinations, irrespective of teaching commercially or as a volunteer.

Gareth

He did call him a rescue diver in the 1st post, but later he said "He is a certified instructor" .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom