Full Face Mask - reasonable cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhornick

New
Reaction score
So, bit of an odd question. After having 14 major oral dental surgeries on my 8 and 9 Central Incisors I've found when I dive, the interior nasal spine or infraorbital foramen areas of my skull get very very sore. In not so scientific terms that would be the area between my upper lip and bottom of my nose, right where my mask rides between the two. 

This whole situation has lasted about 40 years. I'm wondering if anyone knows of recent equipment changes that would allow for some type of full face mask at a reasonable cost. I do not dive but maybe twice every 4 or 5 years. 

I suppose that depends on your idea of reasonable. I have dove many different brands of full face masks, and decided that one manufacturer's mask was the one for me.

I think most any full face masks would alleviate the problems you are having as far as pain and discomfort. From the full face masks I am used to diving instead of contacting the area you have problems with, they mostly contact your chin. Think of the chin pocket at the foundation of the mask, not the area under your nose. So assuming a masks foundation is in a different area, that would make your major problem go away all together, as your problem area isn't touched. The difficult problem is finding a mask that solves your problem, and doesn't add any additional difficulties such as breathing difficulty, leaking, maintenance issues, high purchase price, etc. For me I like the OTS Guardian and Stealth masks. They really don't have a down side other than the purchase price, and have many benefits. I suppose it is up to you to decide if that is a reasonable expense for more comfortable diving, it was for me.

B

The Ocean Reef Neptune masks are very nice as well and often come up on Ebay at a good price. What sort of budget were you looking at?

The caveat though is that a FFM requires a slightly different skill set to manage and with the frequency that you are diving that might not be optimal. Have you had a look at some of the soft-skirt masks (so called "foldable")? They usually have a VERY soft silicone skirt so might help.

Also, I have no idea how many dives you have done but newer divers often pull the mask straps too tight. Its not the strap that keeps it on its air pressure, the strap is just there to stop it sliding around.

If, after the dive, you have a clear mask-mark on your face then the straps are too tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom