Logging Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I use Subsurface - better than ScubaEarth IMHO in that I can import the log directly into it with the full dive profile logged. I can see if my ascents/descents were at a good pace, work out an average SAC based on tank volume, log weighting, thermal protection etc. Stopped paper logs after about 13 (which coincided with the end of my AOW).

I would definitely suggest buying your own diving computer as one of the first pieces of equipment. So much easier to get things right if you know and understand it fully rather than getting a rental (which could be a different one every time you go to a different shop).

Not an instructor but I would hope that if anyone came looking for DM or instructor training with the requisite number of dives but needed work on their skills that they would be advised to practise a bit more. No substitute to in water time IMHO. Might not be in accordance with standards (as they meet the number of dives) but a quiet suggestion might be enough

If I were to do my rescue course I could start DM training as I have more than the minimum 40 dives - not intending it as I feel my diving is no where near good enough to call my self a good diver never mind to demonstrate good practise to someone else).

I would definitely suggest buying your own diving computer as one of the first pieces of equipment. So much easier to get things right if you know and understand it fully rather than getting a rental (which could be a different one every time you go to a different shop).
Thanks for the insight - I've been skimming over the prices of the full diving kit, and then not so much trying to save money but more thinking 'do I really need my own gear'. The one thing I know I would like to have as my own is a dive computer, as you say, that I can know inside out and understand fully. Christmas may be coming at a very convenient time...

we do both paper and electronic. we record location, weight etc on the apper and then download the actual dive profile to a PDA.

one thing to think about for an electronic solution: you may not be gauranteed access to a "cloud" based solution if you happen to be on a remote dive trip or a liveaboard trip. our electronic version is all self contained with enough power to last at least 2 weeks.

I got certified just over two years ago, and felt much the same as you. My smart phone is always with me, so it made sense to me to use an app for logging vs. a paper logbook. I came across Diviac, and I've been very happy with it. It syncs up online, and it's pretty easy to export to Excel to keep an additional back up...just in case. The online version of Diviac is tied to ScubaBoard, so I feel pretty good that it's not going to disappear on me. :)

I have been using DivingLog for a while now, and before that a different electronic log. After a day of diving, I transfer my dive computer data to my laptop, and then sync it to my phone.

I tried using the Android apps supported by DivingLog, but hated the ones I tried. The iOS app is far better and far more consistent with the interface on the laptop/desktop version.

On occasion, I have been asked by charter operators to see my log. If I am asked, it is usually just to show proof of experience in deep and cold water. In each case, it was fine just to bring up the log on my phone

Whatever electronic option you choose, be sure that the files are easily exportable in a format that will not be going anywhere for a while. My first electronic dive log was on the PalmOS platform, and we all know how Palm went... It had no option to export to Excel, etc. Lesson learned.

I say Louis , ole Chap

It is raining in California -- and it never rains in California and when it does we Californians remain indoors- if we become wet we might shrink or even dissolve.

So I reverted to my very early AM activity reading the "board" and was attracted to your posts and the responses.

A bit of sage advice -- Log every hyperbaric exposure-- from the swimming pool and your training to mud puddles, quarries to the ocean -- It is all hyperbaric exposure -- the body cannot identify if the water is fresh clear pool water, a mud puddle or ocean salt water.

Your generation is the very first generation in the history of man to experience massive often long term hyperbaric exposure. Who knows what effects such exposure will have on health and longevity ?

Based on the very small samples of those who began diving long before the popularity of recreational diving it is possible that audio and equilibrium systems will be impacted as well as orthopedic involvement in the form of aseptic bone necrosis and yet to be identified or named diving maladies

At this junction in the very short history of diving there is no data to determine if this can or will occur

Never the less I would suggest that you log ALL hyperbaric exposures

Several weeks ago I was raining then I had a exchange with Karen a US nurse who asked a similar question
The following is my wordy response

"Welcome Karen --(My #2 daughter is named Karene --she has been diving over 45 years)

1) Logging dives has been around for a while -- The first US log book was designed in 1955 (61 years ago) by the late Dick Bonin founder of SCUBA Pro and marketed by the long gone company called "Dive Master: of Chicago.

2) The second dive log was designed by Tom Ebro in 1966 (11 years later - 50 years ago ) As a requirement for the LA County Underwater Instructors Association for use in the worlds first ADP, the LA CO three (3) month long many dives Advanced Diver Program, aka ADP and for use in the LA Co UICC, the worlds first underwater training program established in 1954, which continues as the worlds most demanding a prestigious diving instructors training program ,

3) The rest of the diving world did not immediately develop dive logs but when the did they used, aka change the cover and/or patterned their dive logs after LA Counties log book.. Now there are many diving logs in every format-- choose one

4) I am told that some organizations and resorts demand logs be maintained and presented ($$$)

5) I recommend that you maintain a dive log- and take it on every dive trip and log every dive ASAP after the dive.
Log all that encompass hyperbaric exposure -in deep pool, a mud puddle, a quarry and the ocean- always include date, place depth and time. These entries are not only for your your benefit but are invaluable as you certainly realize for the attending or treating doctor and nurses

Now you know the history of the dive log I suspect you now know considerably more about the history of the dive log that a majority of the current diving community. Perhaps you can and can share these historical tid bits with your fuzzy faced instructor...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A) You are a nurse and live in the non diving capital of the US

B) You are aware how important a patients history is to the admitting doctor and nurses.

C) Most admits to ERs and for Hyperbaric treatment with diving related problems are not accompanied by the important dive history.

D) Dive history is becoming better with the advent of the dive computer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your-- the present generation is the first generation in the history of man that has been massively and repeatedly exposed to hyperbaric environments.

** Certain protocols for safe diving are in place -- slower assents, the safety stops .etc but long term value is undetermined at this juncture in time
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karen FYI
During the 1980s and 1990s we had a loose organization in SoCal called "The fathers of free diving and spear fishing, " which was composed of as the title describes the fathers of free diving and spear fishing -- the ones who formed basis for "recreational" diving." All began long before Cousteau arrived in the US in 1948 with his bubble machine . these were the men and occasional woman who were there in the early days of the sport , some in the 1920s, others in began in the 1930s and the youngsters in the 1940s which included me and and my companions.

We met periodically and soon noticed our ranks were thinning in numbers and those attending were advancing in age..

It was determined to have one last meeting of what was remaining of the tribe ( no disrespect to native Americans or Canadians First Nations ) but that was our accepted name --no supper duper pooper diver/instructor ...Just a member of the tribe.

2000 was the date..the last gathering of the tribe.. letters were sent, telephoned calls were made and the fathers world wide responded and attended. This was the last great gathering of a group that was privileged and honored to be a participant and observer of a series of events that occurred for a very short time and never ever will be experienced again up on this earth.

The common thread was hearing aids and orthopedic devices all indicated was related to diving

That was 16 years ago all of the tribe from the 20s and 30s have departed to the big reef in the sky and only a smattering remain of the 1940s tribe .My fellow "Fathers" who began with me in the 1940s are among those in the big reef in the sky I am now experiencing the long term effect of hyperbaric exposures -- hearing is reduced (a lot!) we all had lots of trauma to the ears, equilibrium difficulties and a minimum amount of osteonecrosis, and of course some ecpected ambulatory difficulties ....But -- I would not hesitate do it all over again !!! My dear wife and all my five children have been diving in excess of 40 years and all the grand children are on their way as divers . and we are all aware of the possible long term effects
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fyi
you might want to google
San Diego Bottom Scratcher Spear Fishing club
Long Beach Neptune's Spear Fishing club
Charlie Sturgil
Dr. Sam Miller 111 diver or SCUBA
Dr. Sam Miller, IV ( use numbers in our family )
SAM IV is a NAUI (Life member) PADI instructor and SSI Pro 5000 (5000 verified dives ) as well as a ER & Hyperbaric doctor --has an impressive CV

So keep on logging dives ! Do it any ole way you desire (Well bless my heart !)

SDM

When are y'all mailing me some good ole Arkie cornbread? or a time tested recipe?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friday 22 October - next day
Good gosh I am wordy-- what happens when I rains in CenCal --we Californians remain inside
Afraid the water might shrink us or melt us

Karen hope my wordy post provides you with a certain amount of guidance sdm "

Well Louis

TTFN -- ( Ta TA For Now )

SDM

I have not once been asked to show my logged dives to anyone. Not any dive charter or any dive instructor.

+1. I'm assuming if you e.g. do dives that count towards AOW in different places, you'll want them signed and stamped in your PADI log book, but otherwise... meh.

You asked about whether PADI sends you a logbook... The answer is no. Typically most dive shops I've encountered give you a free one with the cost of your course. However, if you didn't get one, you can buy them at any shop or you can make your own. Do a basic google search for logbook pages, and you'll find tons of template. You can pick the one you like the best and just print them out. You can also buy refill pages that go into a mini-binder.
Several hundred dives in I still use my paper logbooks. I think of them like passports. I love getting stamps from all the shops I dive with. Also when I need a new book I'll get one from whatever shop I'm at when I need it. It's like a souvenir.

log book pages are available here in scubaboard...I'm sure if you search for log book you'll find the thread.......i have use these before......oh wait try this....

Free Dive Log Pages- Download PDF HERE

I am logging the main information on paper directly after the dive / at the end of the dive trip but my "main" log is electronically in MacDive (Mac / iPhone / iPad). This log has my dive profiles downloaded from my computer, and my comments on the dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom