Time to Kill in Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Next Feb my dive buddy wife and I are going on a 10-day LOB in RA, and we want something else (probably diving) to do either before or after. Any suggestions?

I saw a suggestion from Luko to visit Banda, that is certainly possible, but I was thinking of other resorts or maybe guest houses in RA. Otherwise, Banda, yes, is high on the list.

Thanks,

Bill

There are guest houses / homestays (google the Raja Ampat tourist site, will be one of the first hits), but it is a very remote area, and I'd say if you want to do extra diving, you will probably want to be doing it from a resort with proper equipment, safety gear and evac strategies, not a homestay with a few tanks out back. We very much enjoyed our stay at Papua Explorers this past April, for what its worth. They also organise day tours to some of the islands in and around the strait.

Yes if it is non-diving activities you are talking about then RA might be a bit dull. It's a gorgeous place and there are some things to do but as you suggested the Banda islands have more in terms of historical and cultural interest. So does Sulawesi and in fact lots of places in Indonesia.

Have you considered Lembeh? it's a short flight away. Some folks on the liveaboard I was on did that and I regret not having planned ahead for it.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Which trip length did you do? Do you know of any trip reports on this operation? I looked at the website but am interested to read guest's experience.

Thanks!

My good friend and current dive buddy just got back from a trip like this - he loved it. They did 10 days. He talked about the repetitive food, but he loved the naturalness of the surroundings, and how the accommodations afforded easy access to the environment. They did a lot a lot of kayaking, I think the least they did was 12 km/day, and the most was around 26km.

I think my kayaking days are behind me. I had hip replacement operation recently, and I am quite tall, so bundling that hip up for days at a time would not be something I would look forward to. Also, I think I need aircon everyday in RA. And the distances they go are far too much for me.

- Bill

While you are in Raja Ampat, if you like to do a bird watching, you don't want to miss watching the bird of Paradise in wee hour in one of the island near Raja Ampat Dive Lodge. The resort will provide a boat to take you there. Bird of Paradise is indigenous to Raja Ampat, you won't see elsewhere other than in the zoo. Just like seeing Komodo dragon in Komodo national park. They provide a platform for you to sit, wait & watch. Bring a binocular & your super dooper zoom DSLR camera, because the birds will be high up in the canopy doing the dancing.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom