Thailand Liveaboard, Feb 2017?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pelicanne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, please can anyone recommend a good liveaboard in Thailand (eg Ko Lipe area) for next February? I'm looking for a trip of around a week, and am on a fairly tight budget. I also need flights from the UK, so any advice on packages would also be welcome!

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Pelicanne!

Thailand is a great choice in February. During the first months of the year, liveaboards sail in the Andaman Sea, taking in some of the best dive sites in the country. As you’re on a tight budget and would like to sail for about a week, we’d recommend the following boats:

1. Flying Seahorse - On February 8, the Flying Seahorse sails from Ko Lanta to Ko Ha, Hin Daeng and Ko Lipe. This trip lasts 5 nights and offers a total of 15 dives. In addition, this is one of the most affordable boats you’ll find in Thailand.

2. Marco Polo - If you’d like to dive in the popular and world famous Similan Islands, look at the Marco Polo. This boat offers several 6 night departures in February and costs just over $1000 for 15 dives.

3. MV Giamani - Yet another option, this ship is slightly larger and offers two longer itineraries during the month of February. You can sail to the Similan Islands for 4 nights or you can dive the Mergui Archipelago of Burma for 6 nights. Both itineraries leave from Phuket.

Take a look at these three boats, and let us know if you have any questions. There are a ton of options out there! In the meantime, happy diving!

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a look!

I went on The Junk liveaboard with my oldest (adult) son and regular dive buddy during mid March 2016. Lots of big mantas, octopus, sharks, turtles, etc. Good diving, good food, reasonable costs.

TheJunkLiveaboard03111716.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, ScubaGypsy, will look it up! How long were you on board for, and which area did you cover?

Thanks again!

Mainly dove along the Similan Islands. Our cruise was 11-17 Match 2016. Very international set of divers which only added to our enjoyment.

Sounds great - I just looked it up and it looks lovely, too!

Thanks again, and happy diving!

You might get a few more opinions if you posted in the Thailand forum. I don't know of any liveaboards leaving from Ko Lipe. Most are from Phuket and usually go to the Similans/Richelieu, although there are some shorter trips that go to Phi Phi or other locations. I would ping StevenL in the Thailand forums as he has a ton of information on this. There are also a bunch of forum threads discussing liveaboards in that forum.

Since you're on a budget, I would suggest looking into the Manta Queens and the Pawara. Pawara isn't exactly low budget, but it's great value for money if your budget can fit it in. It also is pretty heavily booked far in advance. However, if The Junk actually looked reasonable to you, then you might want to look into the other luxury boats in the area, like Diva Andaman and Diverace E. There is an incredible amount of options in that area of the ocean.

Last edited:
Thanks very much, Helarno, that's incredibly helpful - much apprciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom