Frozen abalone recipe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was one of the most interesting threads ever on this board,

I am still interested in the country of origin of the abalone. Please continue to attempt to contact papa san for the country of origin of the abalone and post

I suspect the abalone was harvested in Australia or New Zeeland

Jenny Anderson has a good thread on all California abalones plus several picture of SE Asia abalones. Please check out the following

Abalone: Species Diversity

Cheers from CenCal

SDM

@sam miller

We have an answer!!!

"Japanese importer says: Thailand." Most interesting, especially in light of the fact that the two abalones I just picked up are large. One of them is really large. Farmed? -can't see how.

I've not been idle in the meantime. Researched the net for abalone recipes. Tried many. Forget anything with bacon in it. Can't taste the abalone. Fried is interesting, frying changes the flavor. I didn't go there (yet). We all know that fried is a winner, but I wanted to taste abalone in its native, uncomplicated state. Sounds easy...

Background:
I absolutely love real, fresh Maryland Crab soup. Maryland blue claw crab has an overwhelming flavor. I love it. We start with beef stock. You'll never taste the beef once you add the crab...

Abalone
I've spent a bit of cash and much time cooking this mollusk in every way that seems to make any sense at all. Totaly YinYang. Want to do a variant on Maryland crab soup. Abalone has the most subtle and lingering taste that is easily overwhelmed by most other established "Western flavors". This is going to be a challenge.

So my intent is to offer a dish that a true novice can nail, and where one can actually taste abalone.

First, abalone is a rather formidable thing to hand to a "never tried this before" cook.

1 Defrosted.jpg

Get a really short-bristle, serious vegetable brush. Scrub the bejesus out of your defrosted abalones under cold running water. Scrub them again, can't over do it. Don't beat on them. I've become convinced that "tenderizing" is just parting the really nice meat from the really tough stuff. No need in this recipe.

Now you have two tan pieces of meat that are starting to look like something that could be eaten. We need to get the nice stuff separated from the tough stuff. Pot of roiling boil water, drop your abalones in for 15-30 seconds depending on how good you think you are at cutting off the tough stuff. I suggest 30 seconds for a start. IMMEDIATELY rinse in cold water to stop the cooking.

You should have this, they pucker: 2 Parboiled.jpg

Cut in half. It's obvious where to place the blade. 3 Split.jpg

Push knife flat and trim off a steak.
4 Cutting Steaks.jpg
Don't sweat any good meat left behind, you'll get it all back later in the broth.

Try for half perfect meat and half "tough stuff". Absolutely no tough stuff on the good stuff. The tough stuff is a buzzkill...

5 50_50.jpg
Cook the tough stuff. 6 Tough Stuff.jpg

Here comes the recipe. I don't cook by weight or volume. In this post I will. It turns out that I used 130 g of fresh red potato sliced into small bits. I added that to one quart of water and a PINCH of salt. (1 gram of salt) This matters, you will use the potato water, salt comes with it. Cook for 20-30 minutes. I want the sharp cut edges of potato to go rounded and soft and the starch to thicken the soup. Very unlike crab soup.

SAVE the potato water. Cook the tough stuff in it for 30 seconds at 160 degrees. Then dump into a blender and have at it. More is better, here. Have at it! Pour through a strainer. SAVE THE LIQUID.

You get abalone steaks, a hearty broth stock, and really tough stuff from the food processor that only your dogs would love.
7 Abalone Divided.jpg
But this is abalone, not Maryland crab. We need a Cali twist. Veggies that won't smother the taste.

8 Cali Twist.jpg
Two celery hearts and a sweet white onion. Cook in minumum butter until it all goes "translucent".

Relative portions. *sigh*
You are the cook, go with what works for you.

Here is a cheat:
9 Relative Amounts.jpg Use two butter knives (scissor like) to chop the tomatoes in nice size pieces.

Done by the numbers for first timers. Knock yourselves out, enjoy the soup then do it your own way.

It should look something like this:

-Too many attached files! Ha!

Almost got there. OK, see next post...

Attachments

• 10 Abalone Soup.jpg
    10 Abalone Soup.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Anybody can do this, go for it:

Should look like this:
10 Abalone Soup.jpg

130 g chopped red potatoes cooked in 1 qt water, pinch of salt.
1 pound of abalone total, half of it is the good stuff. Other half makes the broth.
1 can Del Monte mixed vegetables. ~14.5 oz It is winter in the northern hemisphere. Forget fresh...
(add some extra canned corn, they don't give you enough)
50 g sweet white onion, chopped
75-100 g celery hearts, chopped.

-If I missed anything, just make it up. You're the cook, after all...

OK, I did miss something really, really important.

See the pic with the relative proportions? I took the abalone back out before cooking everything for 15-30 min. Heat stock to boiling and then add the abalone slices. Make them very thin and overly wide. They pucker. Keep above 160 F for 30 seconds and call it done. Don't over do it unless you are into rubber.

I am a total abalone convert. Abalone is special. I still prefer crab, but yin without yang is lacking. I love both.

Harmony.

Edit:
Old Bay spice. This is definitive of where I'm from. It defines seafood. If you don't have it on shelf, you can go with 1 part celery salt plus two parts hot or mild Hungarian Paprika.

Add that to the recipe above, it is a mandatory ingredient.

Last edited:
Probably time to wrap this thread up.

Amazing day of shopping in North Wales, PA today. Quince is on the stove right now for tomorrow's toast.
Quince.JPG

Tomorrow is looking really Thai...

Thai Tomorrow.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom