Atomic o-ring sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Putting together a list of the Atomic o-rings for the service kits. Sizes seem to be embedded in the atomic part numbers.

Am hoping to get confirmation on the durometer values.

Starting with the 1st stage-
(6) LP port plug -010 70D
(2) HP seal -010 90D
(1) DIN/Yoke retainer -010 90D
(2) HP port plug -011 90D
(1) HP seat -013 90D
(1) Seat retainer -015 80D
(1) DIN nipple -111 90D
(1) Swivel -016 70D
(1) Piston -019 80D
(1) Swivel -021 70D
(1) Body -024 70D

The seat retainer and piston are the ones I'm not sure about. They don't feel like 90D.

I really have no idea what Atomic uses for o-ring duro, so please take my reply with a grain of salt. I can tell you what SP uses in their balanced piston 1st stages (very similar design) and I can tell you what I think might be appropriate based on my experience working on my SP regs. I don't know if it will be helpful.

First, I think SP is using 85 duro EPDM o-rings for the HP piston, HP seat, and maybe DIN/yoke retainer o-rings, and 70 duro for everything else.

Second, I suspect that the only one that really has to be a higher duro is the HP piston o-ring. I wouldn't worry about the port plugs. I do use higher duro o-rings for the HP seat and DIN/yoke retainer, but unless there's a real chance of extrusion I wouldn't consider it critical. On the older SP balance piston 1sts without the bushings (MK5/10) a 90 duro polyurethane o-ring performs very well. But the shelf life is limited, and with the bushings that the MK25 (and certainly atomic) has, the tolerances are tighter and supposedly the HP piston o-ring doesn't have the same problem with extrusion and increased friction.

So if the HP piston o-ring in your kit doesn't feel stiff enough to be a 90 duro, try an 85 and see if that feels more like it. I can feel a difference, I bet you would be able to as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom