Where Diver's Dare: The Hunt For The Last U-boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finished reading the book last week, I had the Barnes and Noble Nook version.

The book is very well written. It is more than the story of one person's search for a submarine; as the book explains blow-by-blow account how U-550 came to be in the location where it was eventually found. Being completely unfamiliar with U-550, I thought the story of the sub and the greater Battle of the Atlantic was a bit too detailed as it provided a background for the story of the engagement and sinking of U-550. The need for this detail quickly became apparent in the fast moving movement-by-movement account of the engagement between US naval forces and the submarine and the mystery of where the submarine sank and why the search for the same covers such a large area. The story of the U-550 does not just involve the engagement of naval vessels, it depends upon the human element, the description of the hunters and the hunted, with roles sometimes reversing. The narrative that unfolds about the crew of the sub, the crew of the US naval vessels, and the crew of searchers, intertwines into a reflection about the nature of war, its affect on people, ultimately revealing the reconciliation and redemption of people in conflict.

Too many books on the subject either address the mechanics of finding and diving on the wreck (with include endless hours of archival searches and chasing leads, no matter how thin) or the history of the battle. "Where Divers Dare" does both, and it does it better than most books that I have read. The images from the battle, the smoldering wreck of the torpedoed tanker, the U-boat crew in the water, and others provide context that greatly compliments the narrative. The author explores several aspects of the story, including the mystery of why many of the crew of the U-boat were not rescued. He does so in a very factual point-by-point recitation of the facts, eschewing speculation, in the end reaching some conclusions and leaving others as part of the mystery.

We are glad you are enjoying the book and thanks for the support. Randy spent a lot of time with us, traveling with us on trips offshore, meeting with the survivors and researching. As a member of the team there were things I had forgotten about until reading the book.

We have started a Facebook Page which everyone can stay up to date on current exploration, presentations, book signings and previous expedition photos.

Please Like and Subscribe for the latest info: Where Divers Dare: The Hunt for the Last U-Boat / U-550 Project | Facebook

I just finished the e-book version, which I downloaded from my public library online service. This is a well written, seemingly factual account of locating the U550.

Last edited:
Very well written, a ton of great backstory. Couldn't put it down, I read it over maybe 3 nights.

Just finished reading "The Last Battle of the Atlantic: The sinking of U853"
This crew also looked for the U550

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom