Actual Experience with Shearwater AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One issue is that I have very narrow wrists and use a 1-2 mm wetsuit, so the bungy cords on the Petrel (or compass) do not fit well.

Just make yourself own adjustable bungee straps that fit you as i show here.
Particularly useful if you switch from wet to drysuits with glove system often :)

I cut about 2-3" off the ends burnt them. Then I got a set of orings as holders for the excess. I don't think you will have any issues with a small wrist with the unit.

Attachments

• perdixed.png
    perdixed.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 168
I just tried to update new software but was unable to do so. I'll contact SW.

View attachment 387161
There is no current update in firmware for the Perdix AI so if you attempt to do so you will get an error response (Shearwater confirms this as well).

Perdix AI Report:
On my recent dive trip to Blue Grotto I had shut off T1 monitoring from the systems menu to conserve battery power and later when I turned it back on I discovered that I have to also reset the viewing menu in order to see the actual tank pressure, I may be wrong but it seems there should be a toggle off/on menu that saves all previous settings.

I'll be reporting myself later this week as will be diving with the unit for the first time.

Perdix AI Report:
On my recent dive trip to Blue Grotto I had shut off T1 monitoring from the systems menu to conserve battery power and later when I turned it back on I discovered that I have to also reset the viewing menu in order to see the actual tank pressure, I may be wrong but it seems there should be a toggle off/on menu that saves all previous settings.
Yes - just tested this myself and was surprised it behaved this way. I turned on T1 (only have 1 transmitter) and programmed a gas display (Tank psi) on the bottom row right position. It worked great and kept the display after turning the gas and/or the computer on/off.

However, when I then turned off the AI in system setup, the lower right display went blank (as if nothing was assigned). I then went in and turned AI back on to T1 - but the lower right display remained blank. In order to get the gas display back, I had to go into system setup and reassign the gas display to that position again.

This feels like odd behavior - it seems like it should remember what was programmed before AI was turned on and then toggle between that and the gas display as you turn AI on or off? However, I get that It may not be that easy as AI is not just a simple on off - it can be set to on as T1, T2 or T1 & T2.

Not a big deal for me as I have no reason to really turn AI off when I'm diving and I don't believe having AI on has any drain on battery while the computer is turned off.

Last edited:
Good idea on the new thread, Compressor. Looking forward to this one remaining an owner's / interested party thread rather than a debate about AI, etc..

I'm hoping to use mine for the first time tomorrow in both a single tank bp/w and a dual-transmitter SM rig. I'm quite certain I'm really going to love this computer for both Tech & Rec.. It offers the best of both worlds..

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've been diving X1's since 2009, and they've been great.. I loved the size and used to like the tap navigation - until I started playing with the Shearwater interface. Even better..

Guess it is time to put the LV's up for sale and get become more familiar with GF..

Attachments

• 20161213_202832 (1).jpg
    20161213_202832 (1).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 150
Good idea on the new thread, Compressor. Looking forward to this one remaining an owner's / interested party thread rather than a debate about AI, etc..

I'm hoping to use mine for the first time tomorrow in both a single tank bp/w and a dual-TX SM rig.

That was my actual intent so thank you. I will be using it on Thursday. I will report as well.

Last edited:
Finally made a dive with the Perdix AI. One word describe my feeling: Fantastic.

I made 2 dives today one about 80 minutes and 2nd one for 70 min. The Perdix worked flawlessly. NOT ONCE did I loose the connection between the transmitter and the computer. This is the same oceanic transmitter I used with my VT Pro and VT3. With those computers and the position of the transmitter and computer the same, I used to have 5-10 loss of transmission during my dives. Not a big deal for me as they were transient. Of course those are older computers so I am not being critical of them just stating what I experienced before.

The Perdix AI like its predecessor is easy to use, intuitive and for me great pleasure. Money well spent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom