Sea Sickness.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, so I know it works for some divers. I suppose the real question is what is your liability if you give this advice, the sick diver gets in the water, the advice doesn't work, the diver gets sicker and drowns?

Instructors are always taught never to give medical advice. Would this count as medical advice in court?

Instructors are always taught never to give medical advice. Would this count as medical advice in court?

Guess that would depend on your level of medical training.

Some research pulled this up.

Motion Sickness — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article
Snip from article-
Have you ever advised a seasick diver: "Get in the water - you'll feel better"? That may not be good advice. Motion sickness underwater occurs for the same reason as above water. When underwater, spatial disorientation occurs because of the interference with the normal clues. Poor visibility and the visual field restrictions imposed by the mask distort or eliminate visual clues. Neutral buoyancy distorts the clues provided by gravity. Motion from surge which may be encountered during entry causes potent acceleration forces. The brain is unable to reconcile the abnormal sensory input, and motion sickness develops. Anxiety of some degree is inevitable no matter how laid-back the individual, and a panic reaction can easily occur.

Some research pulled this up.

Motion Sickness — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article
Snip from article-
Have you ever advised a seasick diver: "Get in the water - you'll feel better"? That may not be good advice. Motion sickness underwater occurs for the same reason as above water. When underwater, spatial disorientation occurs because of the interference with the normal clues. Poor visibility and the visual field restrictions imposed by the mask distort or eliminate visual clues. Neutral buoyancy distorts the clues provided by gravity. Motion from surge which may be encountered during entry causes potent acceleration forces. The brain is unable to reconcile the abnormal sensory input, and motion sickness develops. Anxiety of some degree is inevitable no matter how laid-back the individual, and a panic reaction can easily occur.

I think most of us were talking about floating on the surface(w/o being geared up), well at least I was. I know for many people that will calm their stomach so they feel well enough to actually make a dive. And not to dive if you still feel sick.

For my wife it's the boat ride and sitting on the boat going up and down for a period of time that makes her feel sick.

Reactions: Dan
I think most of us were talking about floating on the surface(w/o being geared up), well at least I was. I know for many people that will calm their stomach so they feel well enough to actually make a dive. And not to dive if you still feel sick.

For my wife it's the boat ride and sitting on the boat going up and down for a period of time that makes her feel sick.

That's me too.

The "get in the water, you will feel better" advice worked for me. I'd like to clarify that when I was given the advice "in the water" meant to actually dive, not float on the surface. Floating on the surface never seems to help me any, it has that same up/down motion as the boat. Typically when I get to depth on the dive and any queasiness I have vanishes. It helps to know that you can throw up through a regulator. As islanddream said, just make sure to keep it in your mouth.

I was also given the advice to, if I could, swap to my alternate reg before throwing up. That way I could keep breathing through a 'clean' primary... but since my wife was my buddy I opted to keep the alternate clean for her if she needed it.

The "get in the water, you will feel better" advice worked for me. I'd like to clarify that when I was given the advice "in the water" meant to actually dive, not float on the surface. Floating on the surface never seems to help me any, it has that same up/down motion as the boat. Typically when I get to depth on the dive and any queasiness I have vanishes.

That is what works for a buddy of mine. After a bad ride out, we are the first out of the gate and on the bottom. The effect seems to help for a while after we are out of the water. On a real bad ride out she can be too sick to dive at all, luckily it is rare.

Advice I've heard:
Take sea sickness medicine, start before you get on the boat so they are already working.
Stay out in the fresh air
Don't breathe any of the diesel exhaust fumes (or gas)
Look out at the horizon

Feel free to add...
Prevention is better all the way around.

Bob
-------------------
Has never been seasick.... Yet

Go ahead and explain your get in the water to the dead guys lawyers.

I get seasick in rough conditions (even on meds) with a port / starboard rock while breathing diesel fumes in the hot sun. That will take me out every time. Getting into rough water and staying on the surface is no cure for me. I have to get under before it will clear. Putting a highly compromised diver under in rough conditions should be a concern. Not a deal-breaker, but a valid concern.

The captain is free to suggest, but it is the diver's call.

One needs to view the whole picture before the pieces can make any sense. The captain starts out with "Pay me money, sign these papers, and I will take you X-XX miles offshore so you can fall off my boat and drop to the bottom." Suggesting to a seasick diver that getting into the water may make them feel better is no biggie to me.

Problems happen when the diver believes that he/she can hand off control of their safety and well-being. Families of the deceased/injured key in on that and buy a lawyer in an attempt to vindicate their lost or injured loved one.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom