1/2 Dacor J valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueLionPiper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So a friend of mine said that he had two scuba tanks that his parents used back in the day. I've never been afraid to take older gear cause heck the newest tanks I own is from the early 80's. Anyway one of them is an older US Divers 72, pretty standard. The other one has a valve I've never seen before. From what I can tell it's a 1/2 Dacor J valve, pre-O ring. See Picture attached.

What can you tell me about this valve? Is there some way I could get this valve replaced with something else to get this tank back in service?

The tanks were free so I've got nothing to lose and it would make my friend happy to know that his parents stuff is being used again.

Thanks!

Iain

Attachments

• mhuM5kb_RieSqLhuWyLl_sw.jpg
    mhuM5kb_RieSqLhuWyLl_sw.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 108
nothing wrong with the valve, it's a 1/2" tapered pipe thread. Holds gas just as well as anything else, just a bit different to deal with. Unfortunately it can't be changed to a modern valve, but again, no reason you can't use it as is after it is rebuilt, which you can DIY if you're even halfway mechanically inclined

Can't tell for sure from the photo but that looks like a US Diver valve, not Dacor but then again, many were made by the same factory. In any case, like tbone said, it's half inch pipe thread. Some tanks used a bushing and others were for this valve directly, in either case, odds are it's good to use....that said, a lot of shops are not familiar with this kind of valve and may not be willing to fill it.

I have two like yours. One is on a tank I use, the other on display because the reserve doesn't work. Send it in with the tank for a hydro (assuming they need hydro's) and see it is comes back full. All I needed to do to mine was switch out the burst plug. Good luck!

Don

XS scuba makes DIN "provalve" valves with 1/2" tapered threads.

You can get new old stock I-valves (1/2" tapered thread x yoke) for a dime a dozen on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom