1 piece or Farmer John.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim3613

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Will be diving in inland lakes and in the gulf late February and March. Trying to decide between a 1 piece 7mm suit or a 7mm farmer john setup. Looking at ones with attached hoods. Is the farmer john warmer since it doubles the thickness around the core? I am cold natured and want to stay warm. There are so many options my head is spinning. Any advice is appreciated.
Jim

The farmer john is a much warmer suit since you will double your thickness around your core to 14 mm (2x 7mm pieces). I would personally stay away from attached hoods because those would be hard to get into, and I like to have the ability to take off my hood while leaving the rest of my suit on so I can regulate my temperature.

I'm not sure what people wear in Texas, I would see what local divers wear - it is very possible a farmer john might be TOO warm, it is quite easy to overheat in a wetsuit (which is why I like the removable hood). So, my advice is ask around and if you want to see how warm a farmer john is compared to a one-piece try renting one, just make sure you don't overheat.

Another option would be to use the one piece wet suit, with a hooded vest. Before you make any investment in a suit, find out what the water temps will be at the depths you plan to dive. If you get too hot in a wet suit, you can always let some water into the suit.

In south TX, a 2-piece 7mm is probably excessive and will just cause you to carry lots of lead unnecessarily. Although the 2-piece gives your torso more protection, the neck seal of a front zip tends to leak more than a rear zip so some or much of that extra protection is lost. I dive year around in central TX and my 5mm jumpsuit is adequate most of the time. When it isn't, I add a 5mm hooded vest. When FW temps fall into the lower 50s I often add to that a chemical heater (Quantum Heat) and it is quite toasty. If you do the FGB in the early spring, that gets tough. Temps are not too bad - mid 60s, but 5 dives on the first day in the 80 to 100 ft range just chills you to the bone. Bring it all and enough heaters for the whole trip.

Another option that could give you more flexability would be a one piece with a core warmer. Then you have the one piece by itself when things warm up a little.

Check out the DUI 30/30 dry suit I've been looking at buying one.

Thanks, this is great advise. I think I will look into a good 1 piece and a nice hood or maybe a hooded vest to go with it. I've pondered on a drysuit but really don't want to spend that much right now. Too many other toys to buy. Thinking about the Flower Gardens in March and exploring the recently sunk "Texas Clipper". Happy new Dive year.
Jim

I've got a 7mm two peice and hate donning it, by the time you get it on your worn out and sweating. I like my drysuit much better easier to put on.

Back
Top Bottom