1000 Lumen Dive Light - SORRY :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok DIRS, I bought the 500 version when you guys visited us at the Long Beach Scuba show and I used it diving the Yukon and Ruby E. Very nice light indeed!

Now, out comes the 1k version! You know I just had to buy that as well. :)

Sadness on the home front. Just heard mine is on backorder. :depressed: Hopefully one arrives in 28 days :eyebrow: before I leave for Coz :eyebrow:.

Might want to order one of the 500 lumens. To me for ocean night dives, the 500 is borderline too bright. The second shipment that they got that is 1/2" longer seems to have a little wider beam and would be great for Coz. It is what I'm taking.

FYI guys, When I ordered my lights I put my current Intova IFL660 backups 4sale on SB classifieds & they moved fast & had multiple members in line waiting if the deal didnt materialize...
They were priced right to move though, & I really dont care to have a backup for my backup!
I get my lights on Tuesday! :D

Mike, I'm posting this for you, 'cause you're so wonderful! :hugs:

I have not had a chance to dive this yet, but will talk to it in comparison to the DRIS 500.

This twist-on light is of comparable size to the DRIS 500. The light twists on easier than does the 500, and it has a larger knurled segment on which to get a good grip. The head is the same size as the 500, and only the tapered segment from the barrel to the head has been extended. The 1000 is about 1/2 inch longer than the 500.

DRIS has, as usual, been on top of keeping us informed and producing good products. I now have my two cave backup lights. _grin_

Given that the 500 is, in my opinion, too bright for night dives, I reason that the 1000 will wash out everything badly. The 500 did not work for photography, as it caused a hot-spot white-out in pictures, and I assume the 1000 will be worse. I would bring either dive light on a night dive as an emergency signaling device, because it is so bright, but would have a softer, less luminous light for my critter-watcher.

Here is a size comparison of the DRIS 500 and the DRIS 1000:
522372_470851876263606_100000163925455_101189132_888805987_n.jpg

And here is a shot of the two lights on the ceiling of a very well-lit room:
150171_470852392930221_100000163925455_101189134_1480385935_n.jpg

I have now ordered 3 of the new 1000 lights, 2 for myself and one as a gift. I tried the 500 yesterday for the first time, vis was only about 5' but the light worked great. With the muck that we dive in around here, I don't think you could have too bright of a light. I will be in Cozumel next month and plan on taking both with me.

Given that the 500 is, in my opinion, too bright for night dives, I reason that the 1000 will wash out everything badly. The 500 did not work for photography, as it caused a hot-spot white-out in pictures, and I assume the 1000 will be worse. I would bring either dive light on a night dive as an emergency signaling device, because it is so bright, but would have a softer, less luminous light for my critter-watcher.

Jax has it right. Thanks for your review. IMO even a 200 lumen white light from an led is too bright for night diving. With that in mind, however, I will be ordering the 1000 lumen light as a backup, for signaling, for daytime dives, and for local low vis dives.

A night dive in clear tropical water with blinding light will result in light being reflected back on our own eyes, and will scare fish away very quickly. Also, in the interest of reef preservation, fish generally see a different and much broader spectrum of light than we do. They communicate, mate, hunt, hide and survive with their unique adaptation to living underwater in a generally light deprived environment. They don't have eyelids and very few fish could adjust their eyes quickly enough to avoid damage from such bright lights.

So, please you all(me too), enjoy these very cool new dive lights, but be careful!

Hey Jax, or anybody else,

Have you had any problems with your bolt snap cave line on the 500? I was in Catalina this weekend and I decided to use it during a day dive to look into the holes/cracks. At the end of the dive I was getting ready to clip it back on I noticed my snap was missing and some frayed line was left behind. Getting back on the boat I noticed the edges where quite sharp on the back of the light where it was tied on.

I guess I will have to check that area better on the 1000 when it shows up. And eventually order another snap......

Wow, those are some really nice lights. I wonder if it would be possible to build an "umbilical" to turn the 1000W into a super packable travel "can" light ... Mike ... hint hint ... :wink: add an on/off switch to the "can" lid and it'd be perfect :D

(one can dream ... right)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom