12v Hookah Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even the title of this thread cracks me up. The only thing worse would be 9V Hookah diving. Marine grade battery? Ha, no blue top optima here, this battery is coming out of someone's station wagon!
BTW, I came upon one of these at the springs in Crystal River buzzing away on the surface, only to drop down about 16 feet and find three kids sharing it. Yep, believe it. They reaaly shoudn't sell these to just anybody. I believe at the least requiring the buyer to be over 18 years old would be reasonable.

Why did you post this question if you're going to ignore opinions that you don't like?

It's clear that it doesn't matter to you what experienced scuba divers think; you're still going to do it. Out of these posts, I count at least 10 divers who are against doing this without proper knowledge/training as opposed to one diver who doesn't think there's a problem...yet you're still dead set on it.

Even if nothing wrong happens, it's still not safe without training or knowledge. At least read through a PADI Open Water book; it shouldn't be too hard to find at a reasonable price.

Id prefer my training over that piece of junk any day. Diving is easy but not without training.

Not to burst your guys bubble but you arent the only guys Ive asked about this and most people who have experience hookah diving have told me I should be fine as long as I stay where the water is calm, take my time,start with a spot I can walk in and out of easily and preferably go with someone experienced.
Not to insult anyone here but its sounds like you guys dont know a whole lot about hookah diving in general. There are more than one reputable 12v hookah companies on the market today. Maybe youre confusing your scuba diving knowledge with hookah knowledge. Hookah air is much less compressed than scuba especially at the depths Im looking to achieve. If I wanted to go 30 feet down without training Id agree with you 100% that would be dumb idea but to go hookah diving at 10 feet at most, it really isnt much more dangerous than say snorkeling.

First reason is I dont plan on going that deep, second reason is a gas motor would not be allowed on a state park, third reason is the 12v one costs less.

...preferably go with someone experienced.
If you're not going to get training, this is probably the next best thing, and there are probably very few people on here who would disagree with that.

Hookah air is much less compressed than scuba especially at the depths Im looking to achieve. If I wanted to go 30 feet down without training Id agree with you 100% that would be dumb idea but to go hookah diving at 10 feet at most, it really isnt much more dangerous than say snorkeling.

Can you show me something that says the air is less compressed? My understanding of the physics and some logic tells me that it's not. Sure, the air in a scuba tank is much more compressed than anything you'll see with hookah, but the air going into the diver's mouth is at ambient pressure otherwise you'd have a hard time breathing it. For the same reason, I'd think that surface supplied air would still have to be delivered to the diver at the ambient pressure of the depth they're at (or at least close to it). That would make hookah diving at 10 feet just as dangerous as scuba diving at 10 feet.

Honestly, to me it sounds like you're accepting the risks without knowing what they are, but it sounds like you've already made up your mind, so I'll just wish you luck in striking it rich and hope we don't have to read about you in the Accidents and Incidents forum.

I am a new diver but this gives me a good dose of caution. I feel like without training you will get hurt. Something will happen and you won't know how to respond.

Oreo the hookah compressor I bought delivers 17 psi, thats why its only rated for 5m and only uses 10 amps. Milsim all my initial diving will be from places where I can easily walk in and out from, not jumping into the unknown from a kayak etc., it also will only take place in calm water. Are you guys starting to follow me? Anyway Ill let you know how my death defying dive goes next week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom