20 days in PI (Anilao, Coron, Sogod)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qzic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm planning a trip in late September - early October for 3 weeks. I am trying to find the right balance between not spending so much time travelling between places but also not spending so much time in the same place that I end up going to the same spots day after day.

Here is my current plan

Arrive in Manila (1 night)
Anilao (4 nights) 3 days diving
Coron (8 nights) 6 days diving (plus some kayaking)
Sogod (6 nights) 5 days diving
Manila (1 night)

I am considering eliminating Anilao from the list and spending more time in Coron. I am also considering eliminating Sogod from the trip and spending more time in Anilao and Coron.

In terms of PI diving experience (most in the 90's):
PG: 3 wks total for initial OW/AOW certifications and later my Instructor Exam
Boracay: 1 week in the 90's
Bohol (Panglao): 3 weeks in the 90's for divemaster training
Subic: A couple of weekend trips while working in Manila a few years ago

I'm really excited to spend a lot of time in Coron, and that is the main purpose of this trip. Should I just go there and spend the full 18 nights (other than the arrival and departure days stuck in Manila)?

Thanks for the advice

1. There are a lot of wrecks in Coron and some of them are pretty deep(30m - 40m) so your bottom time(rec dive) is limited. Tec dive is the only option. The main problem of diving the wrecks in Coron are: (a) Distance to the wrecks from Coron Town unless staying nearby. (b) Your fellow divers on the boat/dive operator. Some of the wrecks are too deep for inexperienced diver so the choice is limited. Try to dive Kyokuzan Maru(extra cost) which is on the Northern side of Coron but well worth it.
2. Sogod Bay is very good but takes time to travel from Coron as there is no direct flight from Coron to Cebu City or Tacloban.
3. If you do decide to stay in Coron for your whole trip, give yourself at least two days to leave the place. Sept/Oct is typhoon season. The only time that I ever flew out from the tiny strip was delayed for 24hrs because the small plane could not depart from Manila.

Thank you Centrals. The advice about leaving extra time to depart Coron will be followed.

There is no direct flight from Coron to Tacloban, but Cebu Pacific sells transfer flights (a whole 200P cheaper than buying a coron-manila plus manila-tacloan flights) from Coron to Tacloban with a ~2hr layover in Manila. While not ideal, it looks like it is possible to go from Coron town to Sogod in one day. The drive time on either end will make it an early start and late arrival.

While this isn't the right board to ask, has anyone rented proper sea kayaks in Coron? A sit-in with spray skirt and skeg kayak?

Are those available in PI?

Might consider doing Malapascua Island instead of Sogod. Easier to get too. Fly into Mactan-Cebu International (2nd largest airport in the Philippines). Either arrange a direct transfer or take a taxi to the North Bus Terminal and ride the bus to Maya, then take the ferry over to Malapascua Island. Should try to get an early flight from Manila if you're going to do that. I like http://evolution.com.ph/

I spent 4 weeks the last time I was in Malapascua in April and am going back in October for another 4 weeks... That will be my 5th trip there.

Anilao can be quite expensive if you're by yourself and aren't able to join with anyone to split costs. It's also a bit of a pain to get too unless you're okay just hiring direct transport.

With only 18 days, I'd probably keep it to just 2 destinations if you are going to spread them out. I've twice done 3 destinations in 21 days, but they were in the same geographical area and had no flights involved except at the beginning and end. You lose a dive day whenever you fly in addition to the travel day. Just depends on your preference...

Another option might be to dive Coron, El Nido, and Puerto Princesa. Save a day for sightseeing in Puerto Princesa (Underground River is pretty amazing I hear). Fly into Coron. Take boat to El Nido. Van to Puerto Princesa. Fly out of Puerto Princesa... just suggestions for things to think about.

You'll have a great trip no matter what you decide :)

I also did 3 stops in 21days , which was lerfect , but for 18 days doing three is not unfeasible. I loved Sogod and Anilao and would truly recommend them to anybody. It's a long drive from Tacloban to Sogod , but it's extremely beautiful. If you book a private transfer the driver will.stop where ever you want. Corp. We will do one day.

Have a wonderful fearful trip.

Another option might be to dive Coron, El Nido, and Puerto Princesa. Save a day for sightseeing in Puerto Princesa (Underground River is pretty amazing I hear). Fly into Coron. Take boat to El Nido. Van to Puerto Princesa. Fly out of Puerto Princesa... just suggestions for things to think about.

That's a fantastic idea and my new plan. I bought a 1-way ticket to Coron and depeding on how the diving is going, I willad out to El Nido or stay there longer. Thank you for the great idea!

Back
Top Bottom