2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy - Nice that you were able to do some diving off a zodiac. I love diving them - makes me feel like Jacques Cousteau!

We cruised off Lobos out to the great pinnacle & thums up. It was spectacular & felt totally adventerous :).

Ah.. sigh the term is finally over - soon to move to monterey & find a new gym.

Hit the gym tonight and did 30 minutes of cardio on the elipitical - it felt great.

Healthy eating kick is paying off starting to drop the few extra pounds.

Makes sense. I am just torn. You see, in SF we can pretty much ride all year b/c we don't get snow. I don't really want to hook my bike up to something which is difficult or cumbersome to get the bike in and out. I have been toying with the idea of getting a stationary bike, but not sure it is worth the $650.00 for a more decent one .... Hm. Decisions.

It's easy to get the bike in and out of. It takes less than a minute. I take the unit to hotels with me when I travel for work. Then I can ride in the hotel if it's raining or out on the roads if the weather is good. Even so, if I had your weather, I'd put the investment into clothing that would be versatile for riding outdoors. Riding outdoors ROCKS!!

We cruised off Lobos out to the great pinnacle & thums up. It was spectacular & felt totally adventerous :).

Hit the gym tonight and did 30 minutes of cardio on the elipitical - it felt great.

Healthy eating kick is paying off starting to drop the few extra pounds.

Hey... losing weight over the holidays is great news! Nice!

Wait! Are you moving from the city to Monterey?! If so, that's awesome.

It's easy to get the bike in and out of. It takes less than a minute. I take the unit to hotels with me when I travel for work. Then I can ride in the hotel if it's raining or out on the roads if the weather is good. Even so, if I had your weather, I'd put the investment into clothing that would be versatile for riding outdoors. Riding outdoors ROCKS!!

Good to know regarding the ease of getting the bike in and out of the stand. I think I am going to check that out when I take my bike in tomorrow for a fitting. I know they have the Cyclops Fluid, but not sure about the SuperMagneto. Have to see.

Tuesday 12/22 - Cycling class (60 minutes). HRM indicates about 610 calories, which is probably about right given the fact that our instructor was kicking our butts. Today was all holiday music, but I swear he was punishing us for eating too many cookies. We listened to the Twelve Days of Xmas at the end of the workout, to which he made up lift and lower for each change of the day, each verse, all 12 days. Sheesh. Needless to say, I was happy when we got to the final verse!

Good to know regarding the ease of getting the bike in and out of the stand. I think I am going to check that out when I take my bike in tomorrow for a fitting. I know they have the Cyclops Fluid, but not sure about the SuperMagneto. Have to see.

I tested a Fluid. It was the trainer I intended to purchase when I walked in the LBS. The Fluid trainer were better than the earlier generation Magneto. However, I was surprised at the improvement between smoothness in accel and decel with the SuperMag. Was it a big enough difference to justify the price leap? Perhaps not, especially for someone at my "novice" level, but the deal I got closed the gap considerably and made that choice easier.

Wait! Are you moving from the city to Monterey?! If so, that's awesome.

Yup. I have 5 weeks off with nothin to do but dive & work out :D! Would head to the tropics except -- I'd come back from wetsuit diving 2 weeks before taking Fundies in a drysuit. Not a great plan!

So took a sublet here in Monterey & will try to dive almost every day till Jan 25(weather & partner dependant) when the term starts again. Passed on a night dive tonight 'cause of big surge and 0 vis (not so good at night). Crossing my fingers that the swell mellows out so we can slip into the water tomorrow. A quick Christmas ski trip & then the real diving starts. My mentor has all kinds of plans :wink:.

Now to find a local gym with a pool :D!

Yup. I have 5 weeks off with nothin to do but dive & work out :D! Would head to the tropics except -- I'd come back from wetsuit diving 2 weeks before taking Fundies in a drysuit. Not a great plan!

So took a sublet here in Monterey & will try to dive almost every day till Jan 25(weather & partner dependant) when the term starts again. Passed on a night dive tonight 'cause of big surge and 0 vis (not so good at night). Crossing my fingers that the swell mellows out so we can slip into the water tomorrow. A quick Christmas ski trip & then the real diving starts. My mentor has all kinds of plans :wink:.

Now to find a local gym with a pool :D!

Wow... that's a heck of a gig!

Last night I'd made a note that I wanted to do Front Squats tonight... thinking maybe 3RM (3 rep maximum) Front Squats. So today when I saw the daily CrossFit Workout (WOD) in my email, I was intrigued both by the timing and the randomness of the rep pattern.... enough so that I gave it a shot... scaled.

The workout as prescribed was for Front Squats (1RM - 10RM - 1RM - 20RM - 1RM - 30RM). I've tried to adapt a mentality of "do no harm", so I mellowed the workout down so I wouldn't kill myself.

I decided 1RM - 5RM - 1RM - 10RM - 1RM - 15RM. That still gave me plenty of reps and practice with the Front Squats and also testing my max after getting a PR about 12 days ago.

Warmup:
Row 250m x 4 with 30 second rest

Handstand pushups (assisted) (My shoulders were toast from the pullup/push-press workout yesterday, so this was more about getting into position.) I did end up with humorous video that I need to post... humiliation is a wonderful thing!

Front Squat Warmup
45# x 3
75# x 3
95# x 3
145# x 3
145# x 3
235# x 1

Front Squat Workout (1RM - 5RM - 1RM - 10RM - 1RM - 15RM)

260# x 1 PR
145# x 5
265# x 1 PR (When I was re-racking the weight after my lift, missed the rack on one side and strained my wrist a bit holding the weight to get back into place... almost quit, but took a few extra minutes then continued)
95# x 10
235# x 1
95# x 15

Total of all 6 Loads (260, 145, 265, 95, 235, 95) = 1,095lbs

Novel workout and a great way to unwind after 6 hours of driving today! Set two Front Squat PR's!! 260, 265# (Previous PR 255)

Here's my attempt at publicly humiliating myself... lol

Failed Handstand Pushup on Vimeo

19765_215305405834_750695834_3192253_4010038_n.jpg

Wow... that's a heck of a gig!

Yeah I'm not complaining :wink:- except need more gym time at this moment. But swell mellowed out & 2 fun dives down to about 65 ft today. Saw a very cute 4' leapord shark - lots of kicking with steel tanks counts as exercise I think.

Bought myself a Christmas present - my second doubles reg: a s600 mk25 to match my other G250V mk25! Not a bad day at all!

Here's my attempt at publicly humiliating myself... lol

Failed Handstand Pushup on Vimeo

19765_215305405834_750695834_3192253_4010038_n.jpg

Bob that stuff is hard -totally impressive even if was a little off :D!

Merry Christmas Sarita & Bob! Thanks for all the support! Off to the mountains for some leg pumping action - be back in a few days - have a great holiday & good luck with all the holiday foods ;-)!

Back
Top Bottom