3-4 trips January-May 2016 South Africa/Mozambique - where to go and when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topper1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've amassed a lot of holiday and my job has given me 3 weeks off in both early January, mid-February, late-March to mid-April and then the last one will be May.

I have my heart set on finally seeing a tiger shark up close...and for that Aliwol Shoal or Protea Banks should be the best starting March and then onwards.
But seeing some mantas and possibly a whaleshark would also be cool.

I have researched some already, but would value further tips and information (best season, recommended dive op, etc).

Tentatively my travel plans look like this:

early-January: Tofo in Mozambique.

mid-February: Sodwana Bay? Ponta d'Oura? (this trip I am very much in doubt where would be best to go!)

late-March to mid-April: Aliwol Shoal and Protea Banks

May: Aliwol Shoal and Protea Banks (congegration of ragged tooth sharks...possibly catch the Sardine Run)

So...especially the mid-February trip I am very much in doubt as to the best destination that month in South Africa (or Mozambique).... If anyone has tips and information I would value it very much!

Cheers, Topper

Enjoy Tofo, it's very worthwhile! Take a snorkel with you on the dive boat and have it ON your mask. If your boat comes across a whale shark you'll want to be ready to leap into the water and snorkel with it for a while. If you're not on the ball, it'll be gone by the time you get into the water.

Despite living in that part of the world my whole childhood, I never got to dive in South Africa, but I've heard it's amazing.

I think that I know what dive center to dive with in Umkomaas (Aliwol Shoal and they also do trips to Protea Banks).
African Watersports

I was recommended another South African led dive center for my diving in Tofo, Mozambique.
I am (or was) planning on diving there my first trip in early January 2016.
Surprisingly I got an email back that past January 4 (when the summer holidaying South Africans depart) business up there nearly shuts down...amongst other things I was informed that I would have to pay a surcharge for dives because of lack of guests past January 4. Also I was informed that the weather turns unstable in January and that I ought better visit in April (I guess when the Easter holidaying South Africans return and business goes back to normal).
Very strange...
Does anyone know if this is the case for all the dive centres in Tofo and Inhambane?

I think that I know what dive center to dive with in Umkomaas (Aliwol Shoal and they also do trips to Protea Banks).
African Watersports

I was recommended another South African led dive center for my diving in Tofo, Mozambique.
I am (or was) planning on diving there my first trip in early January 2016.
Surprisingly I got an email back that past January 4 (when the summer holidaying South Africans depart) business up there nearly shuts down...amongst other things I was informed that I would have to pay a surcharge for dives because of lack of guests past January 4. Also I was informed that the weather turns unstable in January and that I ought better visit in April (I guess when the Easter holidaying South Africans return and business goes back to normal).
Very strange...
Does anyone know if this is the case for all the dive centres in Tofo and Inhambane?

I've been diving there in December and in February, so I have a hard time believing the weather is really that bad. Yes, it's summer and it's rainy, but that shouldn't really be a factor. It's true that January is the low season so you'll be paying a fuel surcharge for the boat.

We've dived through this dive center almost exclusively, recently:
www.divepaindane.com - Contact Us
The guy likes his more advanced dives so if you're looking for something specific, tell him and make sure you put your foot down. The location is way out off the beaten road so you'll need a good vehicle with low tire pressure to get in there. The dive center / resort will often also pick people up from Inhambane.

Good luck! Let me know how things work out!

Following

So...things are progressing. I finally got 2 nice replies and both offered some very reasonably priced packages.
Diving in Tofo, Mozambique with Liquid Dive Adventures (Tofo)
https://diveguinjata.wordpress.com/ (south of Tofo)
I plan diving and staying at Guinjata Dive Centre which is about 25km south of Tofo. The dive centre comes recommended to me by a South African dive instructor friend who worked there the high seasons of 2013 and 2014.
Tonight I booked the January flights with KLM - also reasonably priced and their flights arrive at such time in Johannesburg that I don't need to stay the night in Johannesburg before catching the flight to/from Inhambane Airport.
Next step is booking my flight from Johannesburg to Inhambane and back. Unfortunately LAM has a monopoly on that route and they seem quite overpriced...but flying into Inhambane seems to be the only practical solution.

You're right, LAM seems the only option. Never flew with them myself because of their prices. You could try contacting SAA or SA Airlink directly to see if they fly that route. Their flights may not pop up on a Google or Expedia search of whatever you're using.

I just checked. Neither SAA nor Airlink will get you there. A few ideas: fly with a charter, fly to Nelspruit then drive, or drive from jnb.

Drive times are 3 hours between jnb and Nelspruit. To get to Inhambane is the better part of a day from Nelspruit. You could probably drive JNB to Inhambane in a day if you get going EARLY. Practically speaking, may not save yourself much money between car rental, accommodations (if done in 2 days), and bribes to traffic cops (don't give them an excuse to pull you over). Driving lets you see the countryside, but is a long trip on dangerous roads. Don't night drive in Moz!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 04:05 PM ----------

one more thing: Guinjata is nice, a lazy walk up the beach from Paindane.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

You should also check Scuba Addicts in South Africa. They offer combined itineraries in Mozambique and SA and they frequently dive with Tigers and Bulls. Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom