3mil or 5mil for Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjdm

Reaction score
Going to Galapagos in Sept. I have a 3mil Henderson and I have a Henderson micropreane to wear under it plus a hood with a bib. Do you all think I need to purchase a 5mil for this trip or will I be okay with the combo I have. I'm probably average when it comes to getting cold. I don't want to buy one unless I really have to.

I was just having this exact conversation with someone who has been. He recommends a 5mm with an added 3 mm vest. He says that some people even use a dry suit, but he does not recommend it. It sounds like your layering strategy might work, but you are probably cutting it too close. Let's hear other opinions.

scubabamatxn:
I was just having this exact conversation with someone who has been. He recommends a 5mm with an added 3 mm vest. He says that some people even use a dry suit, but he does not recommend it. It sounds like your layering strategy might work, but you are probably cutting it too close. Let's hear other opinions.

I am going to the Galapagos end of this month (Oct 27th), and would like to hear some more opinions of what to wear. So far, most have recommended a 5mil and a hooded vest.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thx

hey guys, I was there in July and although most of the other passengers were using double 7mm, I was confortable on my double 5mm. That of course, included hood and gloves. If you have a one piece 5mm I would definitely recommend a hooded vest of 5mm.

PM me if I can help you further.

cheers,

I did a liveaboard in the Galapagos last month. While diving the southern and central islands, the water temps were in the mid 60's. I used a 7mil fullsuit with a hooded vest which was okay most of the time. We only dove those islands for two days before going up to the northern islands of Wolf and Darwin. Wolf and Darwin had water temps in the mid 70's so the 7mil fullsuit was more than enough. All depends on how cold you get.

curiousgeorgie:
I did a liveaboard in the Galapagos last month. While diving the southern and central islands, the water temps were in the mid 60's. I used a 7mil fullsuit with a hooded vest which was okay most of the time. We only dove those islands for two days before going up to the northern islands of Wolf and Darwin. Wolf and Darwin had water temps in the mid 70's so the 7mil fullsuit was more than enough. All depends on how cold you get.

I will go on the end of November ... do you think it will be much colder?

I have an old 1 piece 5mm suit.... perhapas I will be too cold after doing 2 to 3 dives a day...

Don't you want to call the dive operator and find out what the temps are? In the Channel Islands 50 - 60 deg. F. I am fine in a 2/3 full suit with a 5/6 hooded vest (booties and gloves) for 4 atm dives lasting 45min. or so. It sounds like the temp is similiar in the Galapagos. Wow, lucky you! I also dive the Channels "dry" for longer/deeper dives, it just depends... Also ask what depths you will be diving to.

ABlue:
I will go on the end of November ... do you think it will be much colder?

I have an old 1 piece 5mm suit.... perhapas I will be too cold after doing 2 to 3 dives a day...

According to my Galapagos Dive Guide book, the coldest water temperatures are from September to November. Going by the temps I stated in my earlier posting, I think you would be fine with a full 5mm wetsuit as long as you add a hooded vest for the colder water temps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom