4/18-4/23 Diving In Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivorynightfall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I just booked tickets to be in Bali from 4/18 (around noon) and 4/23 (leaving at 4PM). I'd like to do diving in Komodo, but am not sure whether that is enough time to do it justice. I'm open to short liveaboards and to staying on land, but the times I'd arrive in Labun Bajo would force me to take 4/18 and 4/23 as off days if I were to go with say Scuba Junkie. I also prefer liveaboards in the sense of no mosquitos, and because I really want to see mantas & love current. I have an AOW / Nitrox and 100+ dives at this point. I'm much more into pelagics than macro or wrecks, which is what turns me away from staying in Bali and just diving there though that might be a better use of my time... I was also thinking I could potentially do Gili T? Not sure how much there is there, but have heard that it's really chill...

What do you guys advise? Are there any shorter liveaboards that I could join? Does it even make sense to fly to Komodo?

I dont think you will enough time if you choose liveaboard. But you still have chance to go diving for land based diving trip. Then manta point will be you 1st destination to see them. Enjoy your dive trip :wink:

I also prefer liveaboards in the sense of no mosquitos, and because I really want to see mantas & love current...Are there any shorter liveaboards that I could join? Does it even make sense to fly to Komodo?

There are some LOB that offer 3 night or 4 night itineraries -Moana, Wicked Diving, Komodo Dive - just to name a few.

Of course you'll wish you had been able to stay longer, there is so much to see. We just got back from Komodo on our 10 day itinerary and had 15 mantas at Karang Makassar and fish soup at Batu Bolong, Crystal & Castle (white tips, black tips, grey reef shark, Giant Trevally, Napolean Wrasse, schools of Jack fish, schooling snapper & surgeon fish...etc).

Sounds like Komodo it's right up your alley. Wherever you end up, enjoy you dive holiday.

Cheers!

I wouldn't try to go to Komodo until you have more time. Just enjoy Bali and dive there. Your first couple days will be hard with the time change. If you dive out of Sanur you can do day trips to Nusa Pendia where you can see Mantas for sure. There are plenty of places to dive in Bali. Critters at Pandang Bai, Amed, and if you have never done it, the muck up in Tulumben is awesome. Maybe look into a safari trip. Bali is great and deserves to be explored!

Thanks for your replies! Cali_divergirl, that makes sense. Do you have a dive shop you recommend out of Sanur for Nusa Pendia?

We got stuck in Bali due to the Volcano eruption last year so it was an unplanned stay. We dove with Bali Scuba and they were very helpful to us as a last minute booking. They even gave us a bit of a discount. The boat was nice and fast and our guide was pretty good. I haven't used anyone else in the area so have nothing to compare them to. We did enjoy Sanur.
I have friends that speak highly of the safari company Underwater Tribe so maybe that is something you might want to look into as well.

+1 for Underwater Tribe. They know the area very well.

Back
Top Bottom