5 days to dive the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only ever gone with Big Island, and have no complaints about their boat dives or their rental gear policies, which I like. I do primarily shore diving, and it's my impression that a very few locations are highly favored by the main dive ops - I see one or the other of their boats at many of the same places I am, pretty much every day. Not that they don't use the other options, but a few sites seem favored due to conditions above and below the water. I've heard them discussing site selection in reference to mixing things up for multi-day divers on board, many times.

The boats all use fixed moorings at the various sites, of which there are many dozens. Almost all are well within 50 yards of shore. A fair proportion can be accessed from shore, with some experience and skill. There's a lot of overall topologic similarity among the sites on the Big Island - the narrow margin extending from shoreline (mostly lava bench where you can often get right to the shoreline) out to modest depth along the cone slope. Bio-diversity drops rapidly with depth, the best is 60 ft or less. The differences among sites tend to be on the smaller scale - quality and types of coral, existence of small "caves" up close to the shoreline, abundance of fish/species. There are a few sites with a little more in the way of variable topography.

The long range option usually means to run 10 miles or so down south, to the Red Hill area, or beyond. It's a different locale, with slightly different feel, but not a lot different. I've never asked, or heard much, about more advanced dives, though there is one giant crack farther south you could ask about, and while most of the "caves" are more properly termed either small holes, or open semi-overheads, there is an enormous lava tube down south - the Twin Sisters - that is fun. You might have more luck with a six-pack than one of the big ops, but the big ops also have smaller boats and at least the possibility that you might be able to semi-tailor your trip. As a solo or paired diver, you'll have to be more clever than I to get the ops to give up the dive plan prior to embarking.

That I've seen and heard, the dives are all DM-lead, though you can usually burn your remaining tank under the boat after the heavy breathers have finished.

Having said all this, if you've been to the other islands, I think you'll like the clarity, conditions, and fish life around Kona.

Last edited:
Jack's has a 'guarantee' that means if don't see mantas, you get a free pass to go again. Your chances are 80-90% but it would suck if you paid the money and no mantas showed up. Book several days in advance.

Aloha all!
My name is Kerry - I'm the owner of Kona Diving Company and I just now joined Scubaboard so that I could perhaps shed some light on some of the topics that came up in this thread. One of our staff told me of your discussion and I'd like to clarify a few points.

First of all, yes, Kona is a wonderful dive destination and you would be hard pressed to get bad service or have a bad experience with any of the established operators here. In general there is a very high level of service here focusing on safety and customer satisfaction.

Next, especially in the winter months but on and off all throughout the year, conditions are extremely variable. While we do enjoy a huge variety of sites close to our harbor (Honokohau), there are periods of high surf that eliminate many options based on dive site exposure. Please know that safety is the utmost consideration, closely followed by diver enjoyment and comfort. We certainly do want to hit new sites every day so we can show off Kona's considerable diversity, but there are weeks when our choices are confined to specific areas to keep everyone safe and happy. BTW AZTinman, we remember this past summer - it was a doozy (thanks, El Nino!). We spent A LOT of time hiding from the persistent south swell and crazy winds. Fortunately for us, the dive sites near the harbor are protected from the south energy and they are great sites with loads of potential.

In Kona, we have great shallow reef all along the shoreline with a drop off to significant depths nearby. This kind of topography allows for profiles that keep every diver happy at pretty much every dive site. We don't really have "beginner" sites and "advanced" sites here - other than a couple of dives with square profiles that would require a blue water safety stop. Operators with smaller 6-pack boats can do one-way dives but we don't usually see enough consistent current to do true drift diving here.

Lastly, I would like to briefly address the issue surrounding bottom times and higher capacity tanks. I can't speak for the other operators, but at KDC we do have a few sets of steel 100s and 120s available. We have these tanks available for those heavy breathers out there so that no one is limited to a 30 or 40 minute dive while everyone else on the boat is still cruising around underwater for another half an hour. So if that's you, please speak up when you book your dives and we'll try our best to reserve the tanks for your use during your trip. However, if you're typically good on your air and well matched with the other divers in your group we'll set you up with an 80. In other words, we like to be able to offer the larger tanks to someone who really needs them.

Having said that, it is our goal that everyone has nice long dives. We typically have at least one guide in the water for 80+ minutes. If you are good on your air and don't get too cold, you will have plenty of time with the fishes and cool critters of Kona.

No matter who you choose to dive with, I hope you have a great time in Kona. This place has a way of casting a spell on some people so be careful...you may find yourself booking your next trip before you even end your fist one! Alooooooooha!

Aloha all!
My name is Kerry - I'm the owner of Kona Diving Company and I just now joined Scubaboard so that I could perhaps shed some light on some of the topics that came up in this thread. One of our staff told me of your discussion and I'd like to clarify a few points.

First of all, yes, Kona is a wonderful dive destination and you would be hard pressed to get bad service or have a bad experience with any of the established operators here. In general there is a very high level of service here focusing on safety and customer satisfaction.

Next, especially in the winter months but on and off all throughout the year, conditions are extremely variable. While we do enjoy a huge variety of sites close to our harbor (Honokohau), there are periods of high surf that eliminate many options based on dive site exposure. Please know that safety is the utmost consideration, closely followed by diver enjoyment and comfort. We certainly do want to hit new sites every day so we can show off Kona's considerable diversity, but there are weeks when our choices are confined to specific areas to keep everyone safe and happy. BTW AZTinman, we remember this past summer - it was a doozy (thanks, El Nino!). We spent A LOT of time hiding from the persistent south swell and crazy winds. Fortunately for us, the dive sites near the harbor are protected from the south energy and they are great sites with loads of potential.

In Kona, we have great shallow reef all along the shoreline with a drop off to significant depths nearby. This kind of topography allows for profiles that keep every diver happy at pretty much every dive site. We don't really have "beginner" sites and "advanced" sites here - other than a couple of dives with square profiles that would require a blue water safety stop. Operators with smaller 6-pack boats can do one-way dives but we don't usually see enough consistent current to do true drift diving here.

Lastly, I would like to briefly address the issue surrounding bottom times and higher capacity tanks. I can't speak for the other operators, but at KDC we do have a few sets of steel 100s and 120s available. We have these tanks available for those heavy breathers out there so that no one is limited to a 30 or 40 minute dive while everyone else on the boat is still cruising around underwater for another half an hour. So if that's you, please speak up when you book your dives and we'll try our best to reserve the tanks for your use during your trip. However, if you're typically good on your air and well matched with the other divers in your group we'll set you up with an 80. In other words, we like to be able to offer the larger tanks to someone who really needs them.

Having said that, it is our goal that everyone has nice long dives. We typically have at least one guide in the water for 80+ minutes. If you are good on your air and don't get too cold, you will have plenty of time with the fishes and cool critters of Kona.

No matter who you choose to dive with, I hope you have a great time in Kona. This place has a way of casting a spell on some people so be careful...you may find yourself booking your next trip before you even end your fist one! Alooooooooha!

Welcome Kerry. Great to have you on SB. Looking forward to seeing you, Katie, Billy and the rest of the crew next month.
Melissa

Yes, many of the night manta dive operators provide some form of a guarantee. I'll be using one of those guarantee things when I book the dive again this summer. I'll still book the night manta dive twice during my trip to increase my chances of success. If I score mantas on both dives, that'll simply be a bonus. The dive is something along the lines of a religious experience. It is amazing.

-AZTinman

I am booked for this coming Monday (4/18) to do the combo Manta Ray Night Dive + Black Water dive, with Big Island Divers.

And I'm booked for the regular morning charters with Kona Diving Company on Wed - Fri (4/20-4/22).

Anyone else from here going to be there then? I am looking to do some shore diving on Tuesday, I think.

As for the boat sites, it is largely true that most of the boats dump divers at Old Airport and Alula Beach (a.k.a. The Dog Beach), perfectly available from the shore. Except I can do shore dive at, say, 7:30 which I find more enjoyable.

Puako is over-rated; everyone dives Puako because everyone dives Puako and spreads the word. However, there is not much to see there except for the lava formations like arches and swim-throughs. But if you try to go further away into the finger coral fields, there is almost no fish there. If you go diving at Puako, make sure you come at high tide or you can get trapped in the shallow lava area on your way out and back. If you go north, Mahukona and the next park, Kapa'a, are way more interesting.

Hookena in the south is one of the best sites, largely ignored.

All this only works when surf is low. If the surf is 2+, you best chance to shore dive will be at 2-Step and keep north.

Thanks, TC!

Sounds like I should hope for glassy seas and try to at least get in at Hookena.

I tend to agree Puako gets over-rated, there are any number of spots just as good. I've rarely encountered great visibility there, and the exit can be challenging in all but the calmest conditions. There are a very few other shore options up there, but it's a long drive if the Kailua area and south are right at hand.

If you go to Hookena, I think the best diving is shallow and right up next to the shoreline, extending quite a ways up to the right as you look out from the north end of the beach. The left is pretty featureless and sandy, but good for the dolphins when they are there. Out deeper I find somewhat meager, and prone to currents. I have seen bicolor anthias shallow and a sailfish, out where the drop-off begins, so it's a spot where you might see something unusual.

Even if you've done it before, Two-Step down at Honaunau Bay is a bit closer and pretty incomparable, and easily worth 3-4 dives, especially if it's calm enough to fully explore the shallower margins along either side of the bay. I've generally found an abundance of fish there including larger specimens, especially well out along the left side towards the point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom