5 mm wetsuit buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use 10lbs with a steel 117 tank strapped to my back in fresh water and 12lbs in Saltwater

I would use three litre steel cylinders and an XL size suit, so I guess 18 pounds would be a good initial guess then.

three litre steel cylinders..............................???????????????????? That's your deco with such a small volume????????????????????

How much weight does a 5 mm full length adult size wetsuit need to sink?
6 lbs? 10 lbs? 14 lbs? I need a rough guide only.

I know how much weight I need to offset the buoyancy of my lungs, but neoprene is unfamiliar territory.
Rule of Thumb I use: 5mm full jumpsuit will roughly be 10% of your body weight buoyant in salt water.. Adjust for gear, tanks buoyancy, etc. as needed. This is a good starting point, you can tweek in a couple of dives.

Rule of Thumb I use: 5mm full jumpsuit will roughly be 10% of your body weight buoyant in salt water.. Adjust for gear, tanks buoyancy, etc. as needed. This is a good starting point, you can tweek in a couple of dives.

So if I weigh 170, and use 18 pounds when I am diving my 5mm in salt water, you are saying I am within the tolerance level of your Rule of Thumb? Makes me feel better now.

Thanks!

So if I weigh 170, and use 18 pounds when I am diving my 5mm in salt water, you are saying I am within the tolerance level of your Rule of Thumb? Makes me feel better now.

Thanks!
Yep. Sort of. For a 5mm I take 10% of my body weight (172#), 17, then subtract or add anything in my kit that is negative or positively buoyant. If the net is less than my 10% then I add lead to be neutral. As with any "rule of thumb" it is only a starting point. For my 3mm jumpsuit I use a 5% starting point. As I get older/softer I seem to float better than when I was young and firm, so I need to take that into account over time. Nothing is set in stone. We change, gear changes, neoprene gets crushed, etc.

All of the above posts recommend me about 16-20 lbs of lead. I'd start at 20 because of the small cylinder size and because I absolutely don't want to become buoyant. Further buoyancy checks will be used to fine tune that.

_______
There's a boundary between free diving and scuba diving where 3 ltr cylinders can prove very usefull.

Size large 5mm suit takes 8 pounds more then no suit at all (everything else equal). At least for me.
7mm likes 12 extra pounds over no suit. Or 4 pounds more then the 5mm suit.
Small allowances for fresh/salt and with/without hood and gloves.

My no suit weighting? Depends on which tank I am using. Alloy tanks take more weight then steel tanks.

Size large 5mm suit takes 8 pounds more then no suit at all (everything else equal). At least for me.
7mm likes 12 extra pounds over no suit. Or 4 pounds more then the 5mm suit.
Small allowances for fresh/salt and with/without hood and gloves.

My no suit weighting? Depends on which tank I am using. Alloy tanks take more weight then steel tanks.

Back
Top Bottom