5 Reasons You Should Take A Night Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking forward to a couple of twilight dives this weekend, I am cert for night dive, but find it scary. Some people mentioned twilight diving and that sounds excellent, as instead of plunging into the inky darkness, I can instead watch as it gets slowly dark and see the shift change between day and night.

Not to get into the debate over night diving classes or not but night diving is one of the best and most entertaining types of diving to enjoy.

@Francesea do you know if the book is available on its own? Google shows just the course without even the e-learning option.

I buy PADI course books at the largest LDS around me, Mass Diving of Natick Mass. There is also a chapter on Night Diving in the AOW course book. THAT book is a treasure trove of info for new divers.

There is also a chapter on Night Diving in the AOW course book. THAT book is a treasure trove of info for new divers.
Cool... I'm planning to do the AOW course in the spring. Looking forward to it! Thanks for the tip.

A Night Dive is generally one of the elective dives in AOW. I am glad we choose to get the Night Dive Specialty also; 3 dives with an experienced instructor can certainly help. Besides I like to see octopus and other nocturnal animals.

Everyone has a different learning curve and reason for taking a particular course. While you don't see the value in a night diver course(and that's perfectly fine), some may gain a great deal from it that goes beyond "turning on a light". I never took a drysuit course personally, but that doesn't mean it's not a valuable learning experience for others.

I was just about to post "a Night course is like a Drysuit course" when I scrolled down and saw this comment. Sure, a diver can learn these things--indeed, almost anything--without formal instruction. However, being shown things in a methodical way, as an instructor teaching from a curriculum would do, can help a diver think about the issues in a methodical way.

My first night dive was part of the AOW course, and as I recall, I appreciated receiving the information in that sort of instructional mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom