Trip Report 6 nights in Amed (Bunga Laut, Bali Dive Trek/Tech Dive Bali)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bassplayer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to jot down some brief notes.
After spending about a week or so in Ubud doing non-diving stuff, headed to Amed. for those who don't know Bali, it's not too hard or expensive to book rides across the island.

Diving:
- 2 recreational dives (dropoff, liberty)
- 3 DPV dives (training dive, dropoff -> somewhere southwest, then even further southwest)
- 2 tech dives (deep reef -> kubu wreck, dropoff area)
- 2 tech dives + DPV (bunutan -> further southwest, "hammerhead point" ending at japanese wreck)
All tech dives were to 45m on doubles with one slung deco gas as per my AN/DP certifications last month.

I wouldnt say the geography of Amed perfectly suits me, as a non-scooter driving walk everywhere person. my idea of a perfect setup is downtown cozumel.
that said, Bunga Laut was very pleasant, with a spacious clean room, good working AC, nice shower, good pressure hot water, and nice grounds including a decent sized pool. the bed wasn't too great (2 twins pushed together) but I could sleep fine. The restaurant was basic but decent. within close walking distance is "good stuff amed", a restaurant that I liked a lot.

the dive shop is quite luxurious. classrooms, workshops, etc. looked like everything needed for high level tech diving, though I only participared in my beginner style tech diving.

Antoine, the owner and resident tech diving guru, was very welcoming and helpful, and was very open to doing any type of diving i could dream up. not knowing the area, I went for some fairly basic stuff but seemed like sky was the limit. The other two in-water people I met were Jordan and Jelsa, both of whom were good divers and nice people.

the main recreational shore dive spots were very crowded with people but we had a ton of fun using the dpvs to get out into completely empty areas. i was especially impressed by bunutan, just crowded with so much life. reminded me of the best palau dives. We even saw a mola mola along the way about 40m deep which was pretty awesome.

the other people at Bunga Laut were for the most part french speakers but they tended to be nice and talk to me in English so it didn't feel like a french only vibe. various groups came through and seemed well taken care of whether doing their advanced open water certifications, fun diving, or diving with other ops.

After I had already booked this, I noticed that there are some active posters here who run a dive op in Amed - if i had noticed that sooner would have given them a visit. will have to do it next time.

Thanks, Bassplayer—helpful! Was the good stuff at Bunutan within rec limits, and is it mostly a drift dive?

Thanks, Bassplayer—helpful! Was the good stuff at Bunutan within rec limits, and is it mostly a drift dive?
seemed like there was plenty to see at Bunatan within recreational limits. when we were there i experienced a decently strong current, wouldn't want to try to swim against it. not sure if that is always the case or how other tides might work.

Thanks for the update Bassplayer. I've been following your journey, I'm headed to Komodo for a few weeks the first part of October then over to Bali before flying back to Thailand. Currently based in Thailand but have spent a lot of time in Cozumel and Puerto Galera during the summer months. Just a recreational diver who likes to dive a few days a week. Hopefully, hook up for a beer or a dive sometime with you. (Sorry meant to post this in your other thread)

Hi,
We are headed to Komodo for 8-10 days in mid November( both experienced divers) Any recommendations for good dive centres that don't just cater for open water divers would be most appreciated.

Hi,
We are headed to Komodo for 8-10 days in mid November( both experienced divers) Any recommendations for good dive centres that don't just cater for open water divers would be most appreciated.
Sticking my two cents in...For Komodo I like Scuba Junkies, they do have plenty of newer divers but they are really good at taking care of advanced divers. Sometimes there since I was the only advanced diver I had my own guide and great ones at that.

Hi,

i dove with dragon dive in Komodo; they use a larger slow boat, do 3 dives a day, and break up the passengers into several groups. I was mostly placed with a small group of experienced divers. the boat often included newer divers but with their own group or instructor. i suspect they would also be open to a private guide situation. I did a couple 1-1 tech dives but at higher cost. for the regular dives, they don't let you dive your whole tank, most dives i ended with 70 or 80 bar. a lot of the dives were about 60 minutes with a few exceptions. they mainly run on a schedule. nitrox was offered but the dives were all done to an air profile.

would i recommend them? i enjoyed diving with them but its not the ideal experienced diver operation, better might exist

the slow boat vs fast boat vs liveaboard decision is big for komodo because the dive sites aren't too close to labuan bajo. for me, slow boat was nice and leisurely. the other shop i looked at was blue marlin which also seemed to do enough volume to break people up into compatible groups.

Thanks very much for advice. Scuba Junkie has only Garden Bales available when we are in Komodo and my back packing style days are definitely over. We will try to book a liveaboard and will post on my return.

Thanks very much for advice. Scuba Junkie has only Garden Bales available when we are in Komodo and my back packing style days are definitely over. We will try to book a liveaboard and will post on my return.
Ha! You and me both. I 1000 percent understand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom