80'S AL Tank Inspections - Eddy Current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveSite:
As the photo in THIS LINK shows, 3AL is stamped from the factory on tanks that were made out of the 6351-T6 alloy, not just the 6061 alloy. There is no 6498 alloy (that i'm aware of). I believe the 6498 that you speak of is an Exemption or Special Permit number. The Visual Plus 3 tester WILL in fact test the 6061 alloy. BUT with that being said, it is very UNLIKELY that a 6061 alloy tank will have a neck crack.

Thank you for correcting me! I do not know nearly as much about tanks as I do about stage theatrical lighting fixtures :) Yes, the 6498 is one of several numbers used for a special exemption alloy, I cnnot remember it's number, but 6498=special alloy that was old and supposedly sfufers from radial cracks from stress. I think they stopped using the "6498" alloy in the 80's. The tank marked 6498 of the OP's is not too new :wink:

VP3 will test it, but were there other models that will not? I could swear that somewhere I heard someone say that older testing methods on new tanks (and using the VP stuff on steel tanks) will usually result in faulty tests if not read by someone who knows how to overlook many "problems" that the data shows which don't actually exist.

spectrum:
Yea, 3 failures sounds like the original inspector was out to lunch. They should be able to show the problem to you. The 1 cylinder I did see fail an eddy current test did have a visible crack.

They need to demonstrate the failure or replace the cylinders. If they don't coperate contact their certifying agency.

Pete

Just out of curiosity, what difference would it make which certification agency they use?

The two tanks in question and the two that I've yet to have tested all have 3AL the tanks

If maybe you are speaking of Luxfer they completely don't want any part of this delima. I've spoke with them often. At one point they were going to help, then back peddled. they won't even test my cyclinder if I sent it to them.

Ok. I think I understand. PSI being the agency that certified them in the use of the eddy current. Do you know of any other agencys that train dive operators?

MMac:
If maybe you are speaking of Luxfer they completely don't want any part of this delima. I've spoke with them often. At one point they were going to help, then back peddled. they won't even test my cyclinder if I sent it to them.

You might contact the maker of the Visual Plus tester. (If that is which tester the original shop used) This is their website: www.visualplus.net I don't know what they could actually do, but maybe they can help. Just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom