A beginner's guide to sifting through the nonsense

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a newer member there are some good guidelines here, but one is forgotten.

Empathy <> Internet

As a moderator on another board and user of many boards, I have determined that you have to consider the internet the same thing as highschool.
1. You have the Jocks who think they know everything because they have experianced it. But cannot remember the "rules" from OW class.
2. You have the Prepps, those who can afford all the new toys and look down on you because you do not.
3. The Geeks those who have read everything but have experianced very little.
4. The Bullies / clowns who ridicule everything, but add very little to the mix.
5. Most importantly the Croud. The rest of the group, who don't mind haveing a little fun, but have a good mix of street and book smarts.

Which one are you?

It only takes a couple of weeks to find the regulars and see where they sit. Just remember the chair keyboard interface is anonymous on most board.

The fact that you weren't wearing a bp/w (and had your mask on your forehead WITH a snorkel) when you typed this makes it not credible!

But I gave it 5 stars anyway!

The best advice I got from one of my instructors when I mentioned that I hit this site occasionally (and this was back 2-3 years ago) was to wade through the BS and make your own decisions, and don't be afraid to ask LIVE people for opinions on what you read there.

And to agree with the post above me by doghouse..after a little while you DO see who the regulars are, and can get some pretty good tips!

Good thread!!!

WOW!

A great thread and a lot of really good posts.

I am a new diver and I have learned so much from lurking here and reading and reading and reading. But I lurk so much because I initially saw many flames on posters for various reasons. It made me reluctant to share my ignorance. I still post with some trepidation about what comments may follow my posts.

On the other hand, I do have to say that the majority of the time, I have been given direction or advice or opinions in a very polite and easy going and non-judgmental manner. It could just be me but it seems like the board is a friendlier place in recent months.

I have found SB to be a great source of info and I am a firm believer in "not reinventing the wheel". I will gladly learn from other's experiences. We also have a great resource in some of the manufacturers and on-line shops that are supporting members. As a group, they are easy to deal with and alwasy ready to answer questions.

Sask:
Great post Diver0001.

What I do is PM people I think might have the answers I am looking for, that way I won’t offend all the 5,000 plus posters by asking a question that was answered before.

Now I will go back below the surface and PM people until I am brave enough to surface somewhere again.

I like this Idea, and I in the few weeks I have been here, I have been able to figure out a few people who I *think* know what they are talking about. So I might just start PMing those peoples and gaining information from them.

ALSO great topic, as a newbie it can be very overwhelming with the many different responces that your questions get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom