A Big Milestone For Me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShrimpDaddy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
A little background: 2 years and 3 months ago I had to have emergency open heart surgery (5 bypass). I didn't have any form of a heart attack, just a little chest pain in my left breast area and severe nausea. I went to my doctor the next day they ran all the tests and found nothing. He said he was not satisfied so he sent me to the ER. They ran the same tests including blood enzymes to check for heart damage or heart attack.
Nothing was found. They where going to send me home but a cardiologist came in and he saw I had a stress test done the year before and was normal. The symptoms concerned him enough to order a heart catheter and that's when they found that 5 of the major arteries where 100% blocked and that the last one was clear.
The next day I was in surgery and then the ICU for 4 days. Now im part of the zipper club.
Ok now to the milestone. My cardiologist said that since my heart was very healthy and no heart attack that I should be able to do what I did before. After 2 years and 3 moths he cleared me to get back diving and continue to be an instructor.
So last week My wife and I went to Williston Fl. and I dove along with my dive buddy Devils Den. I was as wonderful as my first dive in 1969. My buddy asked if I was nervous and I wasn't because I rehearsed that dive 100 times in my head weeks prior to the dive. We made several dive and then we went to Crystal River for a few days.
Now we are going spearfishing off Dog Island next Saturday 4/16/16. Yeehaw.
SD

Wow that is a great story, what a great MD to catch that and test you. Bypass has the ability to allow many people to function at or above their prior level. That said be safe!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom