A great diver at 13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the positive comments. Not sure I should let him read this stuff, his head is aready pretty big.

If you have the power to stop him from reading stuff on the internet, he listens well, as has been demonstrated on Vid.

Thanks for the positive comments. Not sure I should let him read this stuff, his head is aready pretty big.
He deserves his bragging Rights! He handled the situation very well. I would be proud as all hell to have a son/ dive buddy like him. You also are to be commended, involving a young boy in something such as this and obviously tutoring him also. Keep it up!:D

This kid actually takes reg out to speak very calm, resolves problem extremely fast. this is a typical mishap and with a fine diver who would make this little diver has done a great job.

I can see it was dan volker who was his instructor from the free dive fins on scuba.

Well done kido, and a spearo you are.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...80-video-scuba-failure-80-feet-yesterday.html

DD freedives with his son at the BHB alot...we have seen them often...he has done a spectacular job of training his son to scuba dive...and I think the freedive training was a big part of that.

Thanks for sharing the video, VDGM.

The young diver responded calmly to the gas incident. It would have been helpful to have wet notes or a dive slate so that the son could have communicated the pony bottle issue and what he did to address it.

Morays have poor eyesight. I'm not surprised that one would go after the "scent" of a speared fish. FWIW, I've seen far more aggressive morays during mating season. The father's excitement level (yelling through the reg) seemed to be a little out of proportion with the actions of the moray, if you ask me. :idk:

Don't spearfishermen usually attach the catch bag to a separate buoy/buoyline so that they aren't attacked by other fish predators (sharks, morays, etc.)? I can see there being pros and cons to this if he's already maintaining a tow line to a surface float for Florida diving.

Everything on here is an opinion. Not asking anyone to agree with mine, same as I don't always agree with other people's.

LOL Of course most things on here are opinion, interspersed with a fact or two. I apologize if you took my post to mean I thought you did not have a right to an opinion, I certainly did not. In fact, I am not sure I disagree with you about spearfishing. :)

My point was - when you said "I may be harsh but I disagree" I thought you were disagreeing with VGM's title "A Great Diver at 13." I was just pointing out what I thought about your logic in relation to that premise - for example, there was one or two points that didn't really didn't have anything to do with the 13 year old's skills. IMHO, of course. :D

...Morays have poor eyesight. I'm not surprised that one would go after the "scent" of a speared fish. FWIW, I've seen far more aggressive morays during mating season. The father's excitement level (yelling through the reg) seemed to be a little out of proportion with the actions of the moray, if you ask me. :idk:

The eel left it's hole and was coming for me. I had no weapon and I kicked it, you did see the eel actually bite my fin tip, right?

With a fish hanging from my waist, I honestly don't think that communicating the desirability of poking the eel was too far over the top. It is not like we could just leave, I had to unhook the reef hook/reel.

As for the yelling, I do that a lot (even underwater), if you listen to the video, my son yells to me too, to signal that the eel is following us from behind. In any regard, he is used to me talking/yelling underwater.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been bit by an eel? I have been nailed several times from small spotted ones. One time I could clearly hear the bones of my hand making a crunching sound when it bit down. I'm a big pussy...

As for the yelling, I do that a lot (even underwater), if you listen to the video, my son yells to me too, to signal that the eel is following us from behind. In any regard, he is used to me talking/yelling underwater.
To tell you the truth, I've never gone diving with anyone who made it a habit of yelling through the reg like that.
I prefer the meditative sound of my bubbles and nothing else.
I have experimented with talking through the reg. It works, but I don't like doing it. It's reminiscent of adult-speak in a Charlie Brown cartoon: "Wahwah. Wahwah. Wahwahwahwah..."

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been bit by an eel? I have been nailed several times from small spotted ones. One time I could clearly hear the bones of my hand making a crunching sound when it bit down. I'm a big pussy...
Nope, I've never been bitten by an eel. I don't have as many dives as you do, so perhaps it's due to inexperience. I don't know. Then again, I try hard not to touch things while diving. I don't hunt UW with dead fish strapped to my waist. I also don't poke my hands into dark crevices while I'm diving. I like having fingers...I use them all the time. :D

Then again, I try hard not to touch things while diving. I don't hunt UW with dead fish strapped to my waist. I also don't poke my hands into dark crevices while I'm diving. ...... :D

You don't know what you are missing!

Back
Top Bottom