A great diver at 13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL Of course most things on here are opinion, interspersed with a fact or two. I apologize if you took my post to mean I thought you did not have a right to an opinion, I certainly did not. In fact, I am not sure I disagree with you about spearfishing. :)

My point was - when you said "I may be harsh but I disagree" I thought you were disagreeing with VGM's title "A Great Diver at 13." I was just pointing out what I thought about your logic in relation to that premise - for example, there was one or two points that didn't really didn't have anything to do with the 13 year old's skills. IMHO, of course. :D

The age old problem with the internet. It sounds right in your head, but by the time you type it, it comes out wrong lol.

I think the young lad concerned dealt with the issues well, my comments were not meant to be taken as a slur on him. My comments were my thoughts about the video in general.

The age old problem with the internet. It sounds right in your head, but by the time you type it, it comes out wrong lol.

I think the young lad concerned dealt with the issues well, my comments were not meant to be taken as a slur on him. My comments were my thoughts about the video in general.

Not to wax poetic or anything, but to me, this thread is an example of people having some differences of opinion AND some misunderstandings, talking about them, not getting noses out of joint, and ending up with no hurt feelings. I mean, it just doesn't have to be difficult!

I agree kate it doesn't have to be difficult.

Here is a moray attacking my wife on a fun dive, it takes a bite at her air2 and her leftover belt webbing. look how calm she is when it attacks and she seen it bite at air2. this dive did have a lot to offer. the morrat was the Icing on the cake.

Moray eel attack on my wife and air2 - YouTube

oh 420 is start of moray

The eel left it's hole and was coming for me. I had no weapon and I kicked it, you did see the eel actually bite my fin tip, right?

With a fish hanging from my waist, I honestly don't think that communicating the desirability of poking the eel was too far over the top. It is not like we could just leave, I had to unhook the reef hook/reel.

As for the yelling, I do that a lot (even underwater), if you listen to the video, my son yells to me too, to signal that the eel is following us from behind. In any regard, he is used to me talking/yelling underwater.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever been bit by an eel? I have been nailed several times from small spotted ones. One time I could clearly hear the bones of my hand making a crunching sound when it bit down. I'm a big pussy...

I got bit by this moray on my Maldives trip last month ...

Moray-1-1.jpg

He's a wee bitty one ... and he didn't do any damage. Frankly, it was kinda like getting bitten by a playful kitten, all needle teeth. More of an annoyance (and startling) than anything else ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I got bit by this moray on my Maldives trip last month ...

Moray-1-1.jpg

He's a wee bitty one ... and he didn't do any damage. Frankly, it was kinda like getting bitten by a playful kitten, all needle teeth. More of an annoyance (and startling) than anything else ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've gotten a few "warning nips" by small ones too, but even a small one can do damage, particulary when you instinctively retract your hand.

I may be harsh, but I disagree.

1. Buddys too far apart
2. The dive carried on with defective equipment. The dive should have been aborted.
3. I don't care for spear guns, even less on scuba
4. Using the spear to prod the Moray, not good
5. Pretty bad buoyancy control considering how many times the rocks/coral were bumped into

1. Video can be deceptive. Gin clear water and the video demonstrates they were fine.
2. A dive of this nature did not demand pony bottles. If it was a primary cylinder, of course.
3. Do you eat commercially harvested seafood?
4. The Moray was the aggressor. The young man chose not to kill it but rather bump it off. very much in control.
5. I'll have to watch again.

1. Video can be deceptive. Gin clear water and the video demonstrates they were fine.
2. A dive of this nature did not demand pony bottles. If it was a primary cylinder, of course.
3. Do you eat commercially harvested seafood?
4. The Moray was the aggressor. The young man chose not to kill it but rather bump it off. very much in control.
5. I'll have to watch again.

IMHO and in answer to you

1. Further apart than you can swim with one breath is too far
2. Regardless of whether a pony was needed or not (if it wasn't, why bother), it was a failure of their redundancy
3. Actually I don't eat fish
4. The moray was being an animal and following a scent trail in the water. Not the same as being an aggressor.
5. Predominantly when the moray makes an appearance.

IMHO and in answer to you

1. Further apart than you can swim with one breath is too far
2. Regardless of whether a pony was needed or not (if it wasn't, why bother), it was a failure of their redundancy
3. Actually I don't eat fish
4. The moray was being an animal and following a scent trail in the water. Not the same as being an aggressor.
5. Predominantly when the moray makes an appearance.

Well, how far can YOU swim on one breath? :confused:

I know for a fact that my kid could swim the distance between us on one breath.

However, saying that divers should be one breath away is ridiculous! I can swim 100 feet on one breath... Is that at all relevant? :no:

Dive buddies need to be close enough to render effective aid and facilitate communication.

The safe buddy distance is dependent on visibility, currents, relative position and many other parameters but NOT on how far you can swim on one breath, particularly if both divers are equipped with redundant scuba systems.:shakehead:

The safe buddy distance is dependent on visibility, currents, relative position and many other parameters but NOT on how far you can swim on one breath, particularly if both divers are equipped with redundant scuba systems.:shakehead:
Did you find yourself diving any different (closer to your son) after he shut off your pony bottle on the dive depicted in the video?
The reason I ask is, from that point forward, your buddy was your only gas redundancy.
Did your son dive a little closer to you/keep a closer eye on you on account of the circumstances?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom