A Hawksbill and a Hammerhead - Palm Beach Dive Report 4/7/2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
2 – 2 Tank Dives
Pura Vida Divers
Vis 20 to 60 ft., Water Temp 71/72 F
Captains – Colin and Mark
Dive Guides – Lindsay, Colin, Mark
Photographer – Laz Ruda
Guest Scientist – Larry Wood
Morning Dive – 2 tanks, reefs
At the end of the dive only the guide, Colin and I were still left in the water as we neared Turtle Mound at the northerly end of The Breakers Reef. I was looking up the reef line at the edge of visibility when I saw a head on view of a hammerhead slow cruising about 15 feet off the bottom in our direction. It had not yet detected us; the first thought that came to mind was “this poor animal is in for one big fright when it spies us”. I gave Colin a low shout through my regulator, he locked on to the unfortunate creature, and just about that time the great hammer sensed us, bolted forward. Slowly eye balled us, and then quickly left the scene. It was a fairly small animal about 8 to 10 feet, sex was not determined.
Afternoon Dive
2 Tanks - Turtle Education Day with Larry Wood of Florida Hawksbill Project https://www.facebook.com/pages/Florida-Hawksbill-Project/119729704762313
Pictures of our dive and the hawksbill Larry tagged
Turtle Education Day with Larry Wood :: Pura Vida Divers

This was a very interesting and informative afternoon, well worth the effort and expense.

Pura Vida is hosting a Turtle Awareness Weekend May 11,12,13/ 2013. Go here for details
April 2013 Archives - :: Pura Vida Divers
The young people who captain and crew the Sirena are a lot fun. You are almost assured to have some memorable moments when they get to bantering about each other.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom