• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

A&I Split - Snorkel vs. Reg at the surface

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by DandyDon, Apr 4, 2012.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Spitting the reg out on surface can be problematic too. I like to keep mine in until I am on the boat usually, as breathing surface air when a wave hits can possibly lead to problems, maybe even panic.

2. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    snorkel.

rx7diver and Thalassamania like this.
  3. DandyDon

Hi Jen and welcome to SB...

Sounds like a dreadful experience. I've seen some other rumors here about another lady, but don't know.

I carry one, and some do - some don't. If you're on the surface with 500#, you should be able to stay on the reg for a long time still. Sometimes I do switch to my snorkel close to the boat before passing my rig up ahead of me. I carry a pocket snorkel with velcro attachment. :thumb: I think the verlcro is $5, and my snorkel folds up in my BC pocket.

4. flots am

flots am Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The regulator works better when you're re-boarding, a wave smacks the boat up and down like a Tonka toy, and you find yourself upside down in the water 10' back from the ladder, wondering "What the hell just happened?"

There aren't any refunds for unused air, so if it's in the tank I prefer to use it while climbing the ladder

flots.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    BTravlin, dmoore19 and MMM like this.
  5. DandyDon

Sometimes I do switch to my snorkel close to the boat before passing my rig up ahead of me. I carry a pocket snorkel with velcro attachment. [​IMG] I think the verlcro is $5, and my snorkel folds up in my BC pocket.

6. fred3798

fred3798 Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I was taught to switch to snorkle upon surfacing to conserve air. Wrong!! No need to conserve at the end. Bopping up and down on the surface often ends up with my head under water. I keep my reg in my mouth where it belongs until my BC is handed off with me firmly affixed to the ladder or I am in the boat.

DandyDon likes this.
  7. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Lets not forget the context of the thread here. If it is difficult bobbing around without a reg / snorkel waiting for the ladder, think how difficult it'll be waiting for the boat to come back!?!?! I always use my reg when boarding. I use my snorkel waiting for the ladder so I'll have plenty of air to use if my egress does go belly up. There aren't any freebies tank rolls for tanks that have been sucked dry of air while underwater. Been there done that, sad sight rust stains on the bottom of your tank.:(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  8. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor Staff Member

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I have been on the surface more than a few times recently when I was more than happy to keep my regulator in my mouth. I think it is good advice for such situations.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
    Ayisha, Laurie S., rx7diver and 3 others like this.
  9. awap

awap Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Sure, nothing wrong with using the reg if it is more comfortable. But if you are dependent on the reg on the surface, you may need to adjust your gas plan. And still you need to plan for an LOA or OOA event. I suggest you develop the skills necessary to survive on the surface without the aide
    of scuba. A snorkel may be a nice convenience but if you find it a necessity, there could still be a problem. Simple solution is to learn to inhale only when your head is out of the water. Usually easiest if you float on your back, If you air up the BC to help you float, it is usually quite pleasant.

markmantei likes this.
  10. Pedro Burrito

Pedro Burrito Moderator Staff Member

I spent much time bobbing on the surface waiting for the boat to pick me up in Cozumel lately. I inflated my BCD and my SMB and wrapped part of the SMB around my legs so that I had a nice laid back, relaxing position. I kept my mask on and my reg at the corner of my mouth but I wasn't breathing from it. I always keep my reg in my mouth when boarding the boat and don't take it out until I sit down in case I slip and fall down face first on the boat.