A little lost.. Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melissabeads

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! My husband and I are traveling to Australia for Christmas/New Years Eve. We are thinking bout flying into Brisbane and driving to Sydney for New Years Eve. Would a 2 night liveaboard out of Brisbane be our best bet with a dive somewhere one day along the coast? Or should we fly to Sydney?

I have been researching and keep getting overwhelmed with so many options. Thanks for any advice!

Last I was in Australia, I did dive South West Rocks with Fish Rock Dive Centre (check out their FB page: Fish Rock Dive Centre | Facebook) with some of the folks I met on Scuba Dive Sydney. You'll absolutely love it.

I can recommend Wooli Dive center in Wooli NSW
Wooli Dive Centre New South Wales Australia
1.5 - 2 hrs drive south of Brisbane

They primarily dive the North Solitary Island group 30mins or so from the dock. They have accommodation for divers above the dive shop which is surprisingly comfortable. Big stable boat and accommodating staff.
Wooli is a very small town and apart from fishing & the diving (which is excellent) there's not much going on.

At that time of the year however they may be heavily booked...

Byron Bay would be great (use only Sundive), but accommodation would be a problem I think unless you book now. Same for South Solitary Islands at Coffs Harbour. Wooli might be a problem as Stan concentrates on fishing unless he has a group of divers booked. South West Rocks will have diving and accommodation. South West Rocks Dive Centre has their own accommodation and it is never full at that time of the year. Diving is fantastic.

So you could do a day or two at Byron, Coffs and SWR. I would say 2 days at SWR if possible. You can easily drive from one location to the other after the second dive of the day.

Hope this helps. See my web site Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site for information about all these sites.

This may give a bit of info: Day Trips in Eastern Australia

Its a reasonably long drive Brisbane to Sydney. And at that time of year accommodation will be difficult to get, and some roads can be very busy and congested. From the highway there is not much to see, so if you want to see the coast and beaches you generally need leave the highway and go to a 'seaside' town.

Just dived the HMS brisbane a couple of weeks ago very enjoyable well with a short drive north to Mooloolaba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom