A Quick Trip From Chicago In December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derffie

Registered
Reaction score
As our plans have evolved, we are limited to 3-4 days of diving in mid December. We are leaving from Chicago. I get the impression that much of the Caribbean is iffy then so I am concerned that we might get someplace with winds that interfere with diving and not much to do topside. Any suggestions? Thanks!

It is a shame that your time is limited. I also fly from Chicago and at that time of year I would head south to Curacao. The water will be warm and there are plenty of restaurants, shops, and topside activities - but it is a rather long flight for just 3-4 days; can't you stay longer?

The water is a little colder in the northern Caribbean in mid-December (mid to upper 70s) but there is plenty to see and do on Grand Cayman if you are unable to dive and Cayman Air offers direct flights from ORD during the high season.

Thanks. I was thinking about Curacao. I'm working on getting the others to stay longer. Having other things to do would be an attraction. Do you have accommodation / dive shop recommendations?

Pick an island that you can dive both sides. Assuming you have a car I would think that there should be a side of GC that is divable baring a hurricane but that is not likely in Dec.

Thanks. I was thinking about Curacao. I'm working on getting the others to stay longer. Having other things to do would be an attraction. Do you have accommodation / dive shop recommendations?

What does your party like to do on vacation besides diving? Do they like beach, shopping, restaurants. Do they like attractions, spas or perhaps snorkeling, horseback riding, hiking, or sightseeing? Or a combination of things?

What is your budget like, moderate or generous? Do you like high-end resorts, condos, or do you prefer smaller, family-owned inns? Are you okay with renting a car and driving on the left side of the road?

Seven mile beach and West Bay are the most developed and expensive region of Grand Cayman but they are also the most popular, but there are other nice areas that are less pricey. Tell us what you are looking for.

We can tolerate some higher end. Ideally, we would prefer some place smaller so that we can get to know the other guests. We would like a mix of activities but would like to try wind/kite surfing if possible. Not really in to shopping. Otherwise, we just want to stay active.
For some reason I do have a preference for Curacao but could go either way.
Thanks!

We can tolerate some higher end. Ideally, we would prefer some place smaller so that we can get to know the other guests. We would like a mix of activities but would like to try wind/kite surfing if possible. Not really in to shopping. Otherwise, we just want to stay active.
For some reason I do have a preference for Curacao but could go either way.
Thanks!

Curacao is lovely and it would one of my top choices at that time of year because the water will be warmer, but it will be a longer flight for such a short trip. I was trying to think of nearby locations with short, direct flights. You will probably have to fly to Miami or another gateway and then connect to Curacao so you may be spending a good portion of your short trip traveling.

Keep in mind that mid-December is the start of the high season all over the Caribbean so prices will be at their maximum and reservations will fill up fast. But it would be wonderful to escape the Midwestern winter to enjoy the tropics!

I will let others that have been to Curacao more recently advise you on dive ops, accommodations, etc.

One other thought, there are direct flights from Chicago to Cabo San Lucas, it only takes about 4 hours to get there. The water will be cooler but there are a lot of topside activities there.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom