A300CS OLED Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After that I dove with two computers, with the A300cs as my primary. I also changed the battery every two days of diving. This may have been overkill, but I went to Coz to dive, not to worry about my brand new dive computer not functioning correctly. Now in all honesty, the battery I arrived in Coz with had probably been in the computer for a month or two with it just sitting on the shelf. Starting my dive week with a fresh battery probably wouldn't have been a bad idea, but the battery indicator on the computer said I was good to go.

That is absolutely ridiculous. My CHEAPER and much more functional computer took me on 12 dives of two hours each over one month, sat for two months, and then did 5 more dives each over two hours on a single cheap battery (AA). It actually knows how dead the battery is. I've NEVER worried about it dying it reseting. My VERY cheap computer has been on a hundred dives or more over a couple years and had yet to die on me.

You are comparing apples to oranges. I had a cheap Nokia cellphone that was a perfectly functional cellphone. It lasted for a week on standby with 6-7 hours of real talk time on a single charge. My Samsung Galaxy phone is lucky to last a day. Do I miss having a phone that doesn't need to be constantly charge? No. I prefer a QHD display and watching full HD movies over staring at a dot matrix display.

That being said, I am disappointed in paying a large amount of money for what is now an unsupported piece of equipment. The latest and greatest functionality (ie bluetooth) that was advertised is basically vaporware for PC and android Users such as myself. Think Aeris/Oceanic should have just said that the A300CS/VTX is intended for Apple users only, and anyone else should just look at a different computer.

You are comparing apples to oranges. I had a cheap Nokia cellphone that was a perfectly functional cellphone. It lasted for a week on standby with 6-7 hours of real talk time on a single charge. My Samsung Galaxy phone is lucky to last a day. Do I miss having a phone that doesn't need to be constantly charge? No. I prefer a QHD display and watching full HD movies over staring at a dot matrix display.

My Petrel being the Galaxy and the Aeris being the Nokia? Imagine the Galaxy having better battery life by drastic amounts. That'd complete your metaphor.

It is ridiculous. However, the short battery life is the price you pay for the color OLED screen...which is extremely nice. It is unacceptable that the battery indicator doesn't work. I still think the computer is good overall, but given the option to do it over again I would have gone with something different.

Petrel has one of the nicest screens on the market, bigger and more features and a better battery life and cheaper. Still the only choice above $350 in my book.

Last edited:
Anyone having problems with their A300 CS going into premature deco after repetitive Nitrox dives?

Just did repetitive nitrox dives where I switched from FO2 1.5 to FO2 1.4 during the surface interval. On the next dive to ~32 m (105 Ft) the computer went into deco six minutes in and calculated my deco time as if I was on air even though the computer showed I was breathing 26%. My wife who dived the same profiles with her A300CS did not have any issues since she was at FO2 1.4 for all her dives. We both had 1½ surface intervals. Luckily I had my backup computer with me and I worked fine. Looking back at the Dive Details I can see that the A300 had the NiBG at 9 segments at the start of the dive.

I see that the parent company (Oceanic) has a firmware upgrade where they acknowledge this is a known issue on the VT4. Does Oceanic plan on fixing this dangerous Aeris product with a firmware release now they no longer sell it?

Anyone having problems with their A300 CS going into premature deco after repetitive Nitrox dives?

I was diving Nitrox, second dive of the day. Dropped off the boat and was in the water no more than a minute or two and I got a deco warning, telling me to deco for eight hours. My backup dc said I was fine. I was well within the tables. I'll see what aeris/oceanic says.

HELP!!!
My new a300cs went dead today. Changed batteri, but it now only shows "error last dive" and then it goes dead again. Can anyone please help :)

This is the issue I'm currently having. Did you ever get a resolution for this? I probably have less than 30 dives on this computer and really like it, but I'm currently locked out with the "error last dive" message. I took it on a dive with a low battery. It came on, but then shut off during the dive when the battery voltage dropped and then it started up again in dive mode briefly before going completely dead. (Oh, did I mention the dive was no deeper than 10 feet as I was teaching in the pool.)

I don't think there is actually a problem with the computer, but I need to know how to clear that error message so I can use it again. These computers are not at entry level price points by a long shot, so I really want the use of it back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom