A7R2 with 90mm macro lens vs FE 28-70mm with Nauticam SMC-1 Super Macro Converter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nivek Llekots

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

After nearly four years with my trusty old RX100 rig, I am thinking of upgrading to something more advanced.

Currently my rig consists of:
- RX100 (Version 1),
- Recsea housing (more than 1000 dives with no problems)
- single YS-D1 strobe
- Ikelite Vega Light
- Dyron +7 macro converter (wet lens)
- UWL-04 Fisheye Lens (wet lens)

Over the years I have really liked the ability of selecting different lenses during a dive, and as I live in Curacao most of my underwater photography is either using just the fixed lens, or the fixed lens with the +7 macro converter. The wide angle/fisheye lens gets much less use although I nearly always carry it just in case, I come across something larger.

So here is my dilemma, I would like to switch to the Sony A7R2 camera and am struggling to decide which lenses I should get. My problem is both one of "cost, usability/versatility and quality".

Basically I have two options:

- the Sony FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS lens , plus the Sony 90mm F2.8 OSS macro lens

or

- Sony FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS lens, plus either the Nauticam SMC-1 Super Macro Converter or my existing Dyron +7 macro converter (wet lens)

So finally I get to the question, obviously I assume I would get better results quality wise from the first option, but the cost is significantly more, and of course I need to decide what I'm going to shoot before I do the dive, potentially missing some good opportunities. Or I could go with the second option, and sacrifice some quality, but with a large cost savings, and extra flexibility once under water for most of the shooting I actually do (as I say wide angle is not my prime concern).

I understand it is of course a matter of individual choice, but which option would you choose? Perhaps more importantly, as I'm macro orientated, do any of you have experience of using the Sony FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS lens, plus the Nauticam SMC-1 Super Macro Converter, and if so how does it compare to the Sony 90mm F2.8 OSS macro lens with regards to quality, of course bearing in mind I'm upgrading from the RX100 set-up?

OK I know it's a long story to read but I would really appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance.

Below is my proposed new set-up.

- A7Rii
- Nauticam housing
- Nauticam Mini Flash Trigger for Sony A7/A7II Camera
- Sony SEL2870 FE 28-70mm
- Nauticam SE2870-Z Zoom Gear
- Nauticam N100 Flat Port 74
- Nauticam Flip Diopter Holder for M77 Macro Ports (M67 Lenses)
- and either my existing +7 macro lens, or Nauticam SMC-1 Super Macro Converter
- Extra Sea and Sea YS-D1 Strobe, plus strobe arms and batteries, and 2 x fibers

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I read on wetpixel you are maybe considering 4/3.

I have a OMD with a 60mm here in Curacao and love it. If you want you can give it a test run. It might help you making your decision.

Let me know.

Give me a call 5145831

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom