AA awards ORD-BON avail 16K RT (Feb 2025)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wateraddiction

Registered
Reaction score
Just a heads up that there's awards from Chicago for only 16K-25 miles, Roundtrip on AA. I checked Dec and Feb but similarly low awards might be available other months. Travel times aren't bad with 1 connection in MIA on the outbound and return: overnight in MIA on the way there but I don't mind as I often do this deliberately to insure I don't lose days by missing connections due to winter weather out of Chi.

Return is through MIA with 90-120 min connections (a little tight for people with checked luggage or without Global Entry).

Edit: There are also flights that overnight in MIA on the return flight for 8k miles -- these awards might be appealing for families with limited miles and who don't mind booking a cheap airport hotel for the night. It's kinda rare that a family of 4 can get to/from Bonaire for less than 65k miles total.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 6.49.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 6.49.07 PM.png
    200 KB · Views: 17
Just a heads up that there's awards from Chicago for only 16K-25 miles, Roundtrip on AA. I checked Dec and Feb but might be available other months. Travel times aren't bad with 1 connection in MIA on the outbound and return: overnight in MIA on the way there but I don't mind as I often do this deliberately to insure I don't lose days by missing connections due to winter weather out of Chi.

Return is through MIA with 90-120 min connections (a little tight for people with checked luggage or without Global Entry).
Don’t like being a neigh sayer, but 90-120 minutes at MIA is tight for people with Global Entry if they have checked bags. Last Feb it took us about 90 minutes to get through the reentry point, mainly because of waiting for luggage. We don’t have GE and had to wait around 25 minutes just for the conveyer with our luggage to start moving.

Erik

During the summer, Florida Thunderstorm, months - anything less than 2.5/3 hours is risky in MIa. The airport closes all baggage handling during thunder/lightning storms .. no planes loaded or unloaded until the storms are xx miles away.

Also for note, AA will have five flights to the island come the 24/25 holiday season including two Saturday flights.

Don’t like being a neigh sayer, but 90-120 minutes at MIA is tight for people with Global Entry if they have checked bags. Last Feb it took us about 90 minutes to get through the reentry point, mainly because of waiting for luggage. We don’t have GE and had to wait around 25 minutes just for the conveyer with our luggage to start moving.

Erik
I have 4 tickets on hold for December and we have 120 minutes on the return in MIA. We travel with just carry-on now that the kids are older so we usually have time to sit down for a quick Cuban meal on the way to our connection with 2 hrs. Wish us continued good luck!

With just carryons, you should definitely make it.
I found some good empanadas when we were there in Feb.
Have a great trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom