ab biller 36 special

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quiquae

New
Reaction score
Hello all, My wife bought me an AB biller spear gun for our anniversary. I could not find any tech info on the web site. What is the effective range? The gun is a 36 special and is made of mahogany(I think) It is not teak. Will it float or sink? How hard is the task of removing the flopper and point while the fish is in the bag? any tips? Thanx in advance. BTW I dive NJ wrecks in low vis so I know the actual range is only as long as the spear line. What I need to know is 5- 10 effective or is 10 ft out of the question?

quiquae:
Hello all, My wife bought me an AB biller spear gun for our anniversary. I could not find any tech info on the web site. What is the effective range? The gun is a 36 special and is made of mahogany(I think) It is not teak. Will it float or sink? How hard is the task of removing the flopper and point while the fish is in the bag? any tips? Thanx in advance. BTW I dive NJ wrecks in low vis so I know the actual range is only as long as the spear line. What I need to know is 5- 10 effective or is 10 ft out of the question?

I have the 32 and I think that your range will be 10' or less. You start to loose a lot of your force after that. I dive in fairly low vis in Northern California, so range is not generally a big issue either. It is neutral with the spear loaded, but positive once you shoot. As you are fighting with the fish you have to be careful of the gun floating up. The flopper is really easy to clip down under the ring and pull through. The trick is holding onto the fish. We typically use stringers where I hunt. After you shoot it, you string the metal loop through its gills and out its mouth, then pull the spear out. Also, make sure you carry a slender knife with a good point for the finishing blow. This is important for two reasons, one the fish stops suffering, two, it isn't thrashing on your stringer attracting...unwanted toothy attention.

Happy hunting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom