Abalone diver presumed drowned off Sonoma Coast identified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoy_A

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199

Press Democrat Report

JULIE JOHNSON

THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | August 22, 2016, 11:29AM

| Updated 5 hours ago.

An abalone diver whose body was pulled from the water off Gerstle Cove on the Sonoma Coast Sunday afternoon was identified as Dean Seki, 66, of Redwood City, Sonoma County sheriff’s coroner officials said Monday.

Witnesses said a large wave hit Seki around 1:30 p.m., and the force separated him from a kickboard in the water near Salt Point State Park, Sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Crum said.

Diver dies at Gerstle Cove in Salt Point State Park
Seki was seen fighting to stay afloat in the rough surf before he became unresponsive, Crum said.

Two kayakers paddled out to Seki and found him floating face down in the water. A state parks lifeguard helped bring the man to shore and the sheriff’s helicopter flew him from the beach up to the road above.

Crum said an autopsy has not yet been conducted and a cause of death was not yet officially determined.

Red abalone is a prized mollusk with buttery meat that lures divers to California’s rugged coastline each year during the season, which runs April to June and August to November. The hunt for abalone can be hazardous, requiring divers enter the water with wetsuits, weighted belts, a pry bar and little else.

Off the Mendocino Coast, three men have died while seeking abalone since May. Seki is the first diver to have perished in Sonoma Coast waters so far this season.

You can reach Staff Writer Julie Johnson at 521-5220 or julie.johnson@pressdemocrat.com. On Twitter @jjpressdem.

Male diver dies at Salt Point State Park
A male diver was declared dead at the scene Sunday after he was pulled from the ocean at Gerstle Cove in Salt Point State Park.

Cal Fire Capt. Robbie Barnes at the Sea Ranch station said a state parks lifeguard pulled the man from the water. Barnes said he did not know the age or the residence of the victim.

The Sonoma County sheriff’s helicopter, Henry 1, responded to assist with the incident, but a watch commander said he had no information Sunday night.

Three abalone divers have perished this year on the Mendocino County coast.

Followed by Abalone diver presumed drowned off Sonoma Coast identified
An abalone diver whose body was pulled from the water off Gerstle Cove on the Sonoma Coast Sunday afternoon was identified as Dean Seki, 66, of Redwood City, Sonoma County sheriff’s coroner officials said Monday.

Witnesses said a large wave hit Seki around 1:30 p.m., and the force separated him from a kickboard in the water near Salt Point State Park, Sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Crum said.

Seki was seen fighting to stay afloat in the rough surf before he became unresponsive, Crum said.

Two kayakers paddled out to Seki and found him floating face down in the water. A state parks lifeguard helped bring the man to shore and the sheriff’s helicopter flew him from the beach up to the road above.

Crum said an autopsy has not yet been conducted and a cause of death was not yet officially determined.

Red abalone is a prized mollusk with buttery meat that lures divers to California’s rugged coastline each year during the season, which runs April to June and August to November. The hunt for abalone can be hazardous, requiring divers enter the water with wetsuits, weighted belts, a pry bar and little else.

Off the Mendocino Coast, three men have died while seeking abalone since May. Seki is the first diver to have perished in Sonoma Coast waters so far this season.

sorry to hear such sad news...condolences to family and friends......

I was scuba diving a few miles south at Stillwater Cove that day. I saw the paramedics racing up the highway and a few minutes later the chopper went by. I had a bad feeling about it, turns out I was right.
The ocean had confused swells with a north west and a south coming in.
Stillwater on the outside wasn't so still.

So sad. I wonder if he even remembered to pluck his weight belt off while he was struggling to stay afloat....

He was found, the same day, floating, so either he dropped it or being over weight was not his problem. Most experienced Ab divers I know, weight for neutral for the depth they hunt, so staying on the surface with a weight belt on is not a problem.

The Ab "rescues" I have been involved with just had me sneaking in and dropping their weight belt, because they were barely neutral or slightly overweight and had to continuously fin to stay on the surface, once they realize they are tired and too far from the float, panic sets in. Because I'm getting older, or lets say not as young and foolish as I once was, I stay away from Ab diving Opening Day, very low tide days, bad weather, weekends, and holidays. At odd times during the week I only run across the experienced locals like Eric, if anyone at all.

Bob

He was found, the same day, floating, so either he dropped it or being over weight was not his problem. Most experienced Ab divers I know, weight for neutral for the depth they hunt, so staying on the surface with a weight belt on is not a problem.

The Ab "rescues" I have been involved with just had me sneaking in and dropping their weight belt, because they were barely neutral or slightly overweight and had to continuously fin to stay on the surface, once they realize they are tired and too far from the float, panic sets in. Because I'm getting older, or lets say not as young and foolish as I once was, I stay away from Ab diving Opening Day, very low tide days, bad weather, weekends, and holidays. At odd times during the week I only run across the experienced locals like Eric, if anyone at all.

Bob
I was going to say, at first it sounded like overweighting but then he was found floating face down. If be got separated from his float and was seen struggling then he might not have been in the best shape to deal with the conditions last Sunday.
I think he got overwhelmed and his ticker gave out.
Man! They got to learn to pick their days!
This doesn't have to happen!!!
I also helps to know where to go on days that are not so good. Sunday was not so good. Pick a nice calm(ish) cove or go get a burger. Abalone are not worth dying for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom